Newly Created Active Directory Groups Not available in WSS3 People Picker RRS feed

• Question

• This is NOT a MOSS installation.  I have WSS3 SP2 installed.  Please only reply with answers for WSS3.

It seems new AD groups created after the installation of WSS3 are not available to add to SharePoint groups to grant access to sites.

I have searched around this forum and I see several people with similar issues, but all the responses are for MOSS insallation. 

I need something that will resolve the issue for WSS3 installations.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:05 PM

Answers

• After much reasearch it turns out this is happening because the new AD groups were not being marked as security groups by our AD administrators.  They were instead just distribution lists.  And SP only shows security groups in the People Picker.
    • Marked as answer by rcwynn Friday, March 4, 2011 1:28 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:27 PM

All replies

• This might be a result of the SharePoint server farm set to AD Creation mode. You would want to take the backup of content database(s) - rebuild the SharePoint server farm without the AD creation mode and attach the backup you took to this newly created farm.

hope this helps.

-- techChirag
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:21 PM
  • In looking through the steps required to install SharePoint this way I am pretty sure I did not install using the AD creation mode.  Is there a way to verify this?

It seems only AD groups are missing, new users added to AD are showing up with no problems.

Assuming AD creation mode is not the culprit, is there any way to sync AD with the SP database?  I don't see an stsadm commands that are not MOSS specific to accomplish it. 

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 9:43 PM
  • Please try the link below:

How to use Stsadm.exe to determine whether Windows SharePoint Services is in Active Directory account creation mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823507

-- techChirag
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 10:10 PM
  • Thanks for that stsadm tip.  I ran it and confirmed that my farm is NOT in AD account creation mode.

Any other thoughts on what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:43 PM
  • After much reasearch it turns out this is happening because the new AD groups were not being marked as security groups by our AD administrators.  They were instead just distribution lists.  And SP only shows security groups in the People Picker.
    • Marked as answer by rcwynn Friday, March 4, 2011 1:28 PM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 1:27 PM