Text in Internet Explorer 10 and Metro UI is blurry RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody, a few days ago I installed Windows 8 (x64) Enterprise Evaluation and saw that text in Internet Explorer 10 and Metro UI is blurry. Here is examples of how it looks like on my desktop:

Does anyone have the same experience, and if not, what kind of monitors and video card do you have?
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:26 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Actually from the pictures in the post you can't see the problem. You need to save the pictures on your desktop and open it with Windows Photo Viewer and press Ctrl+Alt+0
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 12:38 PM
  • I seen it... I have the problem with other browser as well, when typing the words would change to blurry or bolder type when scrolling.

I thinks its a driver issue, because if you disable acceleration in the browser, the problem went away... at lest it did for me..but then theirs a performance hit

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:02 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with Windows 8 Pro RTM on a Samsung 2443BW 24" monitor and AMD Radeon HD5770 video card.<o:p></o:p>

Font rendering is bad nearly everywhere, but even worse in IE10.<o:p></o:p>

I tried disabling hardware acceleration in IE10, but it made no noticeable difference.<o:p></o:p>

I don't think it is hardware related as I have seen a post on Mozilla forums where the person was able to replicate the problem on various machines running
    Intel, Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions.

I am dual booting with Windows 7 and fonts in Windows 7 and IE9 still look fine.<o:p></o:p>

Very disappointing that MS have produced an OS with such poor font rendering.<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:41 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with Windows 8 Pro RTM on a Samsung 2443BW 24" monitor and AMD Radeon HD5770 video card.<o:p></o:p>

Font rendering is bad nearly everywhere, but even worse in IE10.<o:p></o:p>

I tried disabling hardware acceleration in IE10, but it made no noticeable difference.<o:p></o:p>

I don't think it is hardware related as I have seen a post on Mozilla forums where the person was able to replicate the problem on various machines running
    Intel, Nvidia and AMD graphics solutions.

I am dual booting with Windows 7 and fonts in Windows 7 and IE9 still look fine.<o:p></o:p>

Very disappointing that MS have produced an OS with such poor font rendering.<o:p></o:p>

Same problem here, Amd Radeon HD 5770 with the newest drivers + Dell 2408W display running native resolution, 1920x1200. On the desktop apps text is rendered correctly with ClearType but all the text looks awful in IE10, both Metro and desktop versions.
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Hi,

I have not encountered this issue. Anyway, I recorded it.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Sunday, August 26, 2012 12:45 PM
  • More info on this issue can be found at:
    IE10 Consumer Preview Smoothing Fonts Without Any Color

Please also see the description from Si Daniels of Microsoft (post on March 1, 2012) in this thread:
    Font rendering really poor
    "[Windows 8] uses subpixel positioned grayscale, rather than subpixel positioned ClearType. This change affects the Metro UI, Metro style apps including IE and desktop IE."

My hope is that a configuration option would be introduced so that one could turn on subpixel positioned ClearType for Office 2013 and at least for desktop IE10. In the meantime, we are in the unfortunate situation where third party apps such as Chrome and Firefox are able to provide the benefits of Microsoft's ClearType technology, while Microsoft's own IE10 and (much of) Office 2013 do not.

• Edited by TJY Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:10 PM
    Saturday, November 10, 2012 11:08 AM
  • I know this problem

having this problem myself.
    Might be a driver problem, mine using SiS Mirage 3 :(

Still no solution

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:05 AM
  • Hi Juke / Microsoft,

When will Microsoft release a fix for this problem? It seems like Internet Explorer 10 shows blurry / fuzzy text in ALL windows 8 computers. This problem does NOT happen on Firefox or Chrome browsers running on the SAME windows 8 computer. This problem also does not happen on a Windows 7 computer (with Internet Explorer 9). Only because of this reason, I have completely stopped using Internet Explorer on my Windows 8 computers (note that these computers originally came with Windows 8, not upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8). The text is crystal clear on Firefox browser on the same computers. I have also shown this problem to Microsoft tech support at a Microsoft store, and they also agreed that the text was not clear on Internet Explorer 10.

This problem has been lingering around since Windows 8 was released last year. Please provide a fix as soon as possible. Thank you.

Saturday, February 23, 2013 4:41 PM
  • bump

Is there a patch/workaround for this stupid blurry font?

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:23 AM