none
Bare Metal restore RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running DPM 2010 and I am having problems restoring a Bare Metal Recovery of a Domain Controller.

I have a protection group setup to backup a domain controller, including a copy of C:, a Bare Metal Recovery, and a System State.  I would like to restore a bare metal recovery backup in order to check that my backups are working correctly and to ensure that I can fully restore the domain from scratch from my backups, however whenever I run a recover job to get the data of a Bare Metal Recovery it says that it has copied 40gb of data into the folder I have specified (which is about the right size for the machine), however when it finishes and I look in the folder there is only around 3mb of data containing a few xml documents and other little files like a globalcatalog.

Am I restoring the data incorrectly?  Am I meant to to a manual restore of the C: data and somehow combine it with the bare metal recovery?

• Edited by Swa-Paul Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:35 AM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2013 8:33 AM

Answers

• Ok I think I have solved this now.  I have been restoring the data to a Windows Server 2003 server, however when it finishes the restore it deletes the VHD file, when I restore the data to a Windows Server 2008 server it keeps the VHD file intact.

I've no idea why it would delete this file when transferring to a Windows Server 2003 machine, is this working as intended or a bug?

• Marked as answer by Swa-Paul Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:48 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:48 AM