none
Error creating an image of drive D:, rc = 5 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been wrestling with this rc = 5 error for a few days now.

I've created a Windows 10 Pro Education x64 (1809) reference machine - its got nothing installed but the latest updates. I've removed win 10 apps and provisioned apps to prep it for WIM capture using MDT. After running the Litetouch script and sysprepping the machine boots to windows PE, gets to the create wim stage and immediately fails with this:

Error creating an image of drive D:, rc = 5
    ZTI ERROR - Non Zero return code by ZTIBackup, rc = 5
    Litetouch deployment failed, Return Code = -2147467259 0x80004005
    Failed to run the action: Create WIM
    Access is denied. (Error: 00000005; Source: Windows)
    The execution of the group (Capture Image) has failed and the execution has been aborted. An Action failed.
    Operation aborted (Error: 80004004; Source: Windows)
    Failed to run the last action: Create WIM. Execution of task sequence failed.
    Access is denied. (Error. 00000005; Source: Windows)
    Task Sequence Engine failed! Code: enExecutionFail
    Task sequence execution failed with error code 80004005
    SetNamedSecurityInfo() failed.
    SetObjectOwner() failed. 0x80070005
    RegQueryValueExW is unsuccessful for Software\Microsoft\SMS\Task Sequence, SMSTSEndProgram
    GetTsRegValue() is unsuccessful. 0x80070002
    Error Task Sequence Manager failed to execute task sequence. Code 0x80004005

MDT is running on windows server 2012 r2 - 1809 ADK and Winpe installed, MDT version is 6.3.8456.1000

I've excluded the Deployment share folder from antivirus and on demand scanning.

I've been lead to believe this is a permissions issue from checking around here and googling. I've checked the MDT account that we've setup can write to the deployment share (it can) and specifically the captures folder of which it can. I regenerated the boot image in MDT and applied it to WDS but received the same error.

I tried changing the bootstrap.ini credentials to a domain admin account (again checked domain admin can write to the share and the captures folder, it can) regenerated the boot image and tried again, received the same error.

Tried the above with domain administrator account and receive the same error.

I saw here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/41dfe8cd-e621-4c39-a7d6-83fa34284e63/cannot-capture-windows-10-1709?forum=mdt about removing the credentials. So I tired removing the credentials which then prompts me to enter credentials before it reboots to create the wim and still receive the same error.

I've added ComputerBackupLocation to the rules and added DeployRoot to the bootstrap.ini but am still receiving the same error.

I've checked that no WIM with the same name exists in captures (it doesn't).

I've gathered the logs (BDD, DISM, Litetouch, all the LTI logs, wizard) and put them in a zipfile on dropbox if needed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d28i8usarxscswx/Logs.zip?dl=0

Any help anyone can give will be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Wesley Callender Wednesday, March 6, 2019 1:03 PM added antivirus exclusion details
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 12:54 PM

Answers

• This was Fixed by removing the shares, MDT, the win10 and pe ADK's and reinstalling the whole lot.

Manually taking ownership of the new share and adding required credentials. We're back to capturing and deploying images as normal. Despite everything being identical to how it was pre-reinstallation of everything, its now working fine.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:15 AM

All replies

• This was Fixed by removing the shares, MDT, the win10 and pe ADK's and reinstalling the whole lot.

Manually taking ownership of the new share and adding required credentials. We're back to capturing and deploying images as normal. Despite everything being identical to how it was pre-reinstallation of everything, its now working fine.

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hello, I'm having the same issue and I'm new to MDT and WDS (just so you know!)

Could you explain in details the steps you took to fix the problem?

Friday, August 9, 2019 9:00 PM
  • This was solved by looking at the Share's advance properties.

1. Open the deployment share in File Explorer

2. Right click to get to the properties.

3. Click on Sharing tab

4. Click on Advanced Sharing

5. Add Administrators and give it full permissions

6. Use an administrator account to connect to the share (check the bootstrap.ini or manually input the credential).

WIM file should be created without issue during the capture phase.

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:19 PM