none
Power Query vs Access Query RRS feed

• Question

• I have built an MS Access (2013) database and I utilize a query there to flatten MVFs. I would like to get to the results of that query using Power Query, but I feel like I'm being redundant when I take a query, make it a table (in Access), then grab that table using PQ using a query, to turn it into another table (in Excel).

Is there some way to take the successful query I wrote in Access and just (over simplifying here) copy and paste the SQL code into PQ?

Just wondering.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 1:17 PM

Answers

• Access is the source here. And I actually found that you can copy the SQL code from the Access query into Power PIVOT instead of PQ directly.

In the Data Model, "Get External Data" > "From Database" > "From Access" (use the wizard and browse for the Access file) > "Write a query that will specify the data to import" > Copy and paste the query from Access to the SQL Statement box > Finish

I couldn't do this in PQ, but it works just as well - puts the flattened data directly in to the Data Model (which is what I wanted anyway).

Sorry for any confusion.

• Marked as answer by CMcReynolds Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:06 PM

All replies

• Currently there isn't a way to do this. Is the source data in Access, or are you just using Access to query another source?

Ehren

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:46 PM
    Owner
  • Access is the source here. And I actually found that you can copy the SQL code from the Access query into Power PIVOT instead of PQ directly.

In the Data Model, "Get External Data" > "From Database" > "From Access" (use the wizard and browse for the Access file) > "Write a query that will specify the data to import" > Copy and paste the query from Access to the SQL Statement box > Finish

I couldn't do this in PQ, but it works just as well - puts the flattened data directly in to the Data Model (which is what I wanted anyway).

Sorry for any confusion.

• Marked as answer by CMcReynolds Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 1:06 PM