Issue with Installing gMSA on Lab environment error message "An unspecified error has occurred" RRS feed

• Question

• Good day, 

I'm currently trying to install Group Managed Service Account in my lab environment, So i follow the folloeing steps. 

1. Add-KdsRootKey -EffectiveTime ((get-date).addhours(-10))

And I get the key. 

2. New-ADServiceAccount -name gMSA_VMWT -DNSHostName gMSA_VMWT.Company.pri

3. Set-ADServiceAccount -Identity gMSA_VMWT -PrincipalsAllowedToDelegateToAccount "Domain Computers"

and then on a computer that I would like to install gMSA, after installing RSAT.

Import-Module ActiveDirectory 

Restart-Computer (Whit for it to restart)

Install-AdServiceAccount gMSA_VMWT 

at this stage I get the following error message. 

"Install-ADServiceAccount : Cannot install service account. Error Message 'An Unspecified error has occurred'. 

All commands are tabbed trough and ran with elevated privileges any groups names are also copied to ensure that nothing is misspelled . Thanks for your help in advanced :) 

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:30 AM

Answers

• I see where I was going Wrong 

After Step 3. add a new Step 

Set-ADServiceAccount -Identity gMSA_VMWT - PrincipalsAllowedToRetrieveManagedPassword "Domain Computers" and now I can install it. 

• Marked as answer by TheLocalITGuy Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:51 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:51 AM

All replies

• I see where I was going Wrong 

After Step 3. add a new Step 

Set-ADServiceAccount -Identity gMSA_VMWT - PrincipalsAllowedToRetrieveManagedPassword "Domain Computers" and now I can install it. 

• Marked as answer by TheLocalITGuy Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:51 AM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:51 AM
  • Hello,
    Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

And thanks for your update and sharing. I’m very glad that the problem has been solved.

As always, if there is any question in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Daisy Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:24 AM