When Windows wants to restart to install updates - Which Updates? RRS feed

• Question

• When Windows wants to install updates how can I tell which updates it wants to install please if anyone knows this?
    • Edited by MacStrike Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:28 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can check this by clicking Start, typing update in the search box, clicking windows update. The windows update window should open and the Optional and important updates should be clickable, this will bring you to a list of checked updates you can look through.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:03 PM
  • Thanks but I need to know what's coming down at any given notification. I don't think it installs everything at once does it? Sometimes I have to allow it to install one thing after another doing a reboot each time.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:32 PM
  • AFAIK, anything checked in the location I explained is going to be installed. Any subsequent updates are downloaded after you've installed the current set. But I could be wrong about that.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:55 PM
  • By the way the machines are joined to the domain and I don't have an option to view any impending updates at all. Just the message that 'some settings are managed by your system administrator'.

Alright I'm not a Sys Admin but as a member of Computer Admin surely I must be able to see what's coming down on the machine I need to fix somehow?

Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:31 PM
  • If your domain profile is part of the administrators group, then you should be able to manage updates. If you're just standard domain user, then you will not be able to see the updates.
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:58 PM
  • Thanks but when it's managed by System Admin on the network this isn't available to view.
    Friday, May 1, 2015 9:15 AM
  • Assuming I could manage updates as part of the administrators group then, where can I see what is in the next batch of updates waiting to be installed? That's what I need to know. I've used the Check for Updates link and can tick what is available. But this doesn't tell me what is ready to be installed when the Waiting to Install message appears.

Updates are often done in batches. I need to see what is in the next batch. Can it be done? 

Friday, May 1, 2015 9:24 AM
  •  

Hi,

When you finished downloading, you could check these updates from Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update\Select updates to install.

It will show you the updates will be installed on your computer.

When you finished these updates, some of them might need a reboot, so a notification might pops up. If you need to confirm which updates are pending re-boot, we might need do some additional work.

These articles are for your reference depending on your network environment.

Get-PendingUpdate in WSUS environment by using Power Shell

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/0dbfc125-b855-4058-87ec-930268f03285

How to detect if a reboot is needed after installing a patch

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hansr/archive/2006/02/17/patchreboot.aspx

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 4, 2015 3:51 AM