none
DPM 2010 "Replica Inconsistent" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My scenario is that I am backing up from a Server 2008 R2 file server to an iSCSI NAS using DPM 2010.

The amount of data I am backing up is approx 1.7TB and the NAS has 8TB allocated to the DPM Pool.

All the data I want to back up is on the D: drive. Now if I select the whole drive (or a large chunk of it) the "Replica Inconsistent, Verification in Progress" appears and stays there for a long time (over 8 hours) and then it changes to "Replica Inconsistent".

If I try and back up a small folder on the same drive it seems quite happy to do so (i.e. "d:\users" will fail but "d:\users\singleuser" will happily back up and be recoverable).

The NIC drivers are up to date on both the DPM server and the Client.

We have DFS running on the file server.

I have tried with and without on-line compression with the same result.

The allocated disk space is set to grow automatically.

There isn't a lot of free space on the target server itself but I was under the impression that this was only a problem with system state and BMR backups?

What else can I check?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The error is pointing to a problem on the protected server.  DPM is making the snapshot to perform the backup, but then something is happening and the snapshot is going away.  Check for free space on the D: drive on SERVER19 - also look in the System Event log on SERVER19 and filter on the source volsnap.  Also look for VSS errors in the Application event log. I think you will find problems maintaining the snapshot long enough for DPM to complete the backup.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Midweek Friday, October 26, 2012 6:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What are the details of the failed consistency check jobs ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 11:36 PM
  • Hi

Well I tried doing manually creating the replica and then running a consistency check but it failed again with the following:

Log Name:      DPM Alerts
    Source:        DPM-EM
    Date:          19/09/2012 14:49:31
    Event ID:      3106
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVER15.tm.local
    Description:

The replica of D:\ on SERVER19.tm.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    DPM failed to access the volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy60\ on SERVER19.tm.local. This could be due to
    1) Cluster failover during backup or
    2) Inadequate disk space on the volume.
     (ID: 2040)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="DPM-EM" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">3106</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-19T13:49:31.000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>622</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>DPM Alerts</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVER15.tm.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>
    The replica of D:\ on SERVER19.tm.local is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. (ID: 3106)
    DPM failed to access the volume \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy60\ on SERVER19.tm.local. This could be due to
     (ID: 2040)</Data>
        <Data>3106</Data>
        <Data>a921280d-4b20-4aa5-a487-53cc32be4bbd</Data>
        <Data>SERVER15.tm.local</Data>
        <Data>SERVER19.tm.local</Data>
        <Data>a921280d-4b20-4aa5-a487-53cc32be4bbd</Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>
        </Data>
        <Data>Replica inconsistent</Data>
        <Data>1a6e89dc-9188-4f27-8111-55c09e2fca9a</Data>
        <Data>
     (ID: 2040)</Data>
        <Data>2040</Data>
        <Data>1</Data>
        <Data>0</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

The error is pointing to a problem on the protected server.  DPM is making the snapshot to perform the backup, but then something is happening and the snapshot is going away.  Check for free space on the D: drive on SERVER19 - also look in the System Event log on SERVER19 and filter on the source volsnap.  Also look for VSS errors in the Application event log. I think you will find problems maintaining the snapshot long enough for DPM to complete the backup.

• Marked as answer by Midweek Friday, October 26, 2012 6:50 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:54 PM
  • Hi Mike

I think you have it!

There was a volsnap error about 2 minutes before the DPM consistency check bombed out.

The VSS is using the C drive as shadowstorage for the D drive and there is hardly any space left on it (10GB) so I'm going try and add another volume to hold the shadow storage with unbound settings for now and see if that solves it.

I'll let you know how it goes and then mark it as the answer.

Cheers. You're a lifesaver!

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:44 AM
  • To finally get this working at an acceptable speed I found that in addition to Mike's solution to the shadow copy issue (thanks again!) I had to turn off the TCP/IP Offload Engine (TOE) on our Broadcom teamed NICs on the client server. This can be done in the BACS software.
    Friday, October 26, 2012 6:55 AM