attempting to map shared network drives from different locations RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to setup a work network in four outlying stores. Each of the computers runs Win7 and have 2 shared network drives. I am using Watchguard firewalls and have them running a working vpn tunnel to the server.
    My question is how do I map the shared network drives over the different networks? Or get the shared drives to communicate through the firewall to the server? One note, the Firewalls are also the DHCP servers at the stores.

With some help I have attempted a fix, that has not worked. At one location I added the server that has the shared files to the HOSTS file (c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts). I then attempted to map the drive, it attempts to work then gives me an error of 'could not be created because: a device attached to the system is not functioning'. I attempted the same as above from a different location and recieved 'windows cannot access server. different results at different locations.

I am running against a deadline to get things to communicate. Any help is appreciated.

Friday, March 22, 2013 9:18 PM

Answers

• first make sure the clients can talk with the server by using "ping 0.0.0.0".

if the clients can't reach the server than you wont be able to share a folder. also you could try to add the shared folder to a network drive in GPO

• Proposed as answer by Soh.M Tuesday, April 9, 2013 10:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Soh.M Thursday, October 3, 2013 6:24 AM
    Tuesday, April 2, 2013 8:13 AM