none
Task starts on Same Finish Date of Predecessor RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All ,

Please guide me my new task is being started on same finish date of its predecessor please i want it should be started on next date.

kind response is requested.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This is what happens.

Please bear in mind that Project does not do ANY calculations based on DAYS.

The only unit used for calculations is the minute.

Now in your file, Options, you have set a day to be 9 hours. Fine, that's what Project will use in calculations to get rid of "days".

Now let's look at your project calendar. On Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and  Wednesday there are indeed 9 working hours in a day.

But on Thursday there are only 8 working hours in a day.

So when you have a task staring on Thursday for example, and you set the duration to be 1 day, Project immediately translates that into 9 hours (see Options). The tasks starts at 8 and when the end of the working time is reached, 8 hours have elapsed: Project will schdule the ninth hour on Saturday morning. So when there is a successor to that task it will start 9 am on Saturday and succesors of that task will  not end on the end of a day either, etcetera.

Every task running through any Thursday will cause that shift. Task 2 for instance, 15 days (to be precise: 135 hours), will not end ofter exactly 15 days but at 11 am the next day...

What can you do?

- Best solution: live with it.

- Or change your reality and make the working time for Thursday also 9 hours.

But as long as there is any discrepancy between the "Hour per day" in the options and the Working time, you will not be able to ensure a day to be exactly a day each time.

Greetings,

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First, could you in the future mention the version of Project you are using, it would make answering more direct and better for you.

This being said, I suppose you are running Project 2010.

Go to File menu, Options, General, and in Date Format select a format including time of day.

You will now probably see that your predecessor tasks does not end exactly at the end of the day but somewhere in the middle. From there it is logical the successor starts from there.

You have to realize that Project does not plan "per day" but "per minute" so "the same day" doesn't mean there is an overlap!

What you can do is find out why the predecessor does not finish on the end of a day - are there decimal values in durations? Nonstandard calendars? Work expressed in hours rather than days?

From here, noone can tell. Give it a try.

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:50 AM
  • Dear Mr.Jan,

Thank you for Response i am using MS 2007 and Assigned Calendar is standard my project duration is in days please guide accordingly.

Thanking you in anticipating. 

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Hi,

So instead of File menu, go to Tools menu, Options, General, change Date Format into something containing time of day and tell me what is the finish of the predecesor.

Is the predecessor a milestone?

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Dear Mr. Jan De Messemaeker

I followed the instructions and please note the predecessor finish that is Mar 11 11:00 AM date its not a milestone.

The another Predecessor has this finish date Mar 19 12:00 PM It is also not a milestone.

Please guide me.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

So there you are. Now try to find out why the predecessor tasks finish in the middle of the day. Do they start at the middle of the day? Or is it the dfinition of a day  that is not synced with the working time in the Calendar?

Nobody can tell without seeing what you have entered.

If you do not find the reason you can always mail the file to

jandemetATprom-ade.be

(Replace AT by @)

Greetings,

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:21 PM
  • Dear Mr. Jan,

Please note i sent my file on following email but failed to deliver.

jandemet@prom-ade.be

It was processed through gmail.

Thanking you.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 2:44 PM
  • SORRY, typo...

It is jandemes (not jandemet)

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:37 PM
  • Dear Sir,

I have sent again.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

This is what happens.

Please bear in mind that Project does not do ANY calculations based on DAYS.

The only unit used for calculations is the minute.

Now in your file, Options, you have set a day to be 9 hours. Fine, that's what Project will use in calculations to get rid of "days".

Now let's look at your project calendar. On Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and  Wednesday there are indeed 9 working hours in a day.

But on Thursday there are only 8 working hours in a day.

So when you have a task staring on Thursday for example, and you set the duration to be 1 day, Project immediately translates that into 9 hours (see Options). The tasks starts at 8 and when the end of the working time is reached, 8 hours have elapsed: Project will schdule the ninth hour on Saturday morning. So when there is a successor to that task it will start 9 am on Saturday and succesors of that task will  not end on the end of a day either, etcetera.

Every task running through any Thursday will cause that shift. Task 2 for instance, 15 days (to be precise: 135 hours), will not end ofter exactly 15 days but at 11 am the next day...

What can you do?

- Best solution: live with it.

- Or change your reality and make the working time for Thursday also 9 hours.

But as long as there is any discrepancy between the "Hour per day" in the options and the Working time, you will not be able to ensure a day to be exactly a day each time.

Greetings,

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:51 AM
  • THANK YOU MR. JAN.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 11:21 AM
  • Respected Mr. JAN,

Thank you so much for your kind support please similarly i have one more problem regarding my material resource visual reporting.

in My resource summary report i am getting my forecast manpower for next month while i am facing problem to generate the report of material resource my allocated material resource is not being shown in my visual report for example if i assigned 10 ton steel to my activity it is shown i 1.02 ton in my visual report similarly for other materials.

Please guide me in this regard i shall be thankful to you.

Sunday, March 3, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry to say but I'm not very specialized in visual reports. I suggest you repost this question as a new thread, others will be glad to jump in.

Greetings,

Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:27 PM
  • Ok Thank you Mr. JAN
    Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Jan, thank you for this response. My problem was not the same as the original questioner, but your answer helped me figure it out anyway.

Regards,

Kristina

Sunday, July 30, 2017 5:27 PM