Word 2010 Crashes when selecting "Enable Editing" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a copy of Microsoft Word 2010 (Standard 64 bit version) installed on a Dell Inspiron 64 bit machine running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Every time I attempt to open a file sent to me, when I hit "enable editing" Word crashes.
    I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Office, and have also ran some registry cleanup programs.  I personally thing it's insane that MSFT wants $200+ hours for a support call so I am reaching out to the community here to see if anyone has experienced the same thing?
    Thanks!
    Monday, December 19, 2011 2:26 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have connected a Printer and set it as default, you might need to reinstall or update its driver.

You can read this article: “Find and install printer drivers in Windows 7”

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Find-and-install-printer-drivers

If it did not resolve this problem, it probably caused by third-party Add-ins.

Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Microsoft Word, Or At the command prompt, use the winword.exe /safe option

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Office program:

1. Click File menu, click Options Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

2. Check if there has any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

3. Close the Office program and restart it.

4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

Best regards

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:07 AM