how to view a list from top level site A on top level site B RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I'm trying to view the top three items from a list on a team site (top level site) to my company homepage site. I know this must be possible b/c we also have SP 2007, and the previous person assigned to work with SP set this up on SP 2007 10+ years ago. Does anyone know or done this before in SP 2016? Thanks. -J

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi John,

Do you want to display a list in another site collection? 

The easiest way is using a Content Search web part in your company homepage site.

In your company site page, add a Content Search web part and edit it. In the Query, specify the URL of the list in team site.

Then save your changes.

You can learn more about Content Search Web part from below article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/configure-a-content-search-web-part-in-sharepoint-0dc16de1-dbe4-462b-babb-bf8338c36c9a

In addition, this web part will only display title column form the other list. If you want to add more columns of the list items, you can refer to below article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c4458bf-3397-470d-a675-e90e260de624/content-search-webpart-showing-additional-columns?forum=sharepointgeneral

(There is a web part called "Page Viewer Web Part", it will display a whole page inside it, you can also use this web part. Just need to specify the list page URL, and then you can see all the contents of a list no matter this list is in the same site collection or not)

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by John Mathias Monday, April 15, 2019 7:52 PM
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:38 AM
  • Thanks Allen. Yes, a list from one site collection to another. I've tried the Content Search, but I must have done the query wrong. Thanks for confirming that this is the way to do it. I will tweak my query and try it again. J
    Thursday, March 21, 2019 2:00 PM
  • Hi John,

Also need to make sure that you search is working well. Means that the list items can be searched in another site collection.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, March 22, 2019 1:22 AM
  • Thanks again. I got it to work. Cheers. J
    Monday, March 25, 2019 10:34 PM
  • Hi,

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:31 AM