UAG, SSTP, and DNS RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to pass a DNS suffix to an SSTP client in UAG?

Thanks,
    Ken

Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:24 PM

Answers

• Hi Ken and Douglas.
    It appears both of you are having a similar issue, but our ability to investigate this through the Forum is limited. I'd like to ask one of you to open a support case with Microsoft IAG CSS, so we can take advantage of the proper resources and resolve this as soon as possible.

Thank you
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM

All replies

• UAG automatically passes DNS suffix of UAG internal NIC
    Friday, December 25, 2009 7:02 PM
  • I have the DNS suffix set on the internal NIC of the UAG server, but it doesn't get passed to the client.  Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks,
    Ken
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Ken,

It works for me (at least under TMG).. is there anything special about the client.. ie. non domain-joined?

Regards,
    Mylo
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:30 AM
  • UAG uses TMG for SSTP support -- so if it works with TMG it should work with UAG.

Ken - what client OS are you using?

Thanks!
    Tom
    MS ISDUA
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:44 PM
  • The clients are Windows 7.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Friday, January 8, 2010 7:28 PM
  • We are also experiencing this issue. I've tried configuring the Internal network adapter to use the DNS suffix but it is not being assigend to the clients.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 6:07 PM
  • Hi Douglas,

Can you determine if any suffix is being assigned to the SSTP client?

Thanks!
    Tom
    MS ISDUA Anywhere Access Team
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:09 PM
  • For the SSTP related network adapter on the client side the suffix is empty.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Same here.
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hi Ken and Douglas.
    It appears both of you are having a similar issue, but our ability to investigate this through the Forum is limited. I'd like to ask one of you to open a support case with Microsoft IAG CSS, so we can take advantage of the proper resources and resolve this as soon as possible.

Thank you
    Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Hey guys,

Take Ben's advice and open a ticket with CSS. If this is a problem we want to know what the cause is and get it fixed.

Thanks!
    Tom
    MS ISDUA Anywhere Access Team
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Ben,

I was able to get the DNS suffix passed down to the client by configuring TMG/UAG to get the DNS and WINS servers from DHCP.  I had to configure a DHCP relay on the server to pass the requests to the DHCP server.  I based it on some instructions Tom has out there for ISA 2004 - http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/2004dhcprelay.html.

Thanks,
    Ken

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

The DHCP relay methode works fine with UAG/TMG. The Windows 7 clients can now obtain the DNS Suffix with SSTP VPN connection.

Thanks for your answer.

Jocelyn.

Friday, November 26, 2010 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

Does any of you know if there has been any update on this matter?

I'm facing the same issue but since I'm running an UAG array the DHCP-workaround isn't an option.

Regards

Joakim

Monday, October 10, 2011 10:56 PM
  • I have it working in an array.  I have each array member configured to relay to the DHCP server like I described in my previous post.

thanks,

Ken

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:19 AM
  • Thanks for your reply Ken. Thats great news!

But how? Neither UAG och TMG allows me to set the IP-adressing for SSTP to dynamic. In both configurations consoles the DHCP-setting is greyed out with the text "This option is not available in a multi-server array deployment". Did you set this in the "routing and remote access console"?

Btw, I'm running a 2 node UAG NLB array.

Thanks,

Joakim

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Joakim,

I setup the ranges in the UAG console and then setup the relay through routing and remote access.  I used this as a guide for that - http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/2004dhcprelay.html

Thanks,
    Ken

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 10:02 AM