Test Lab Guide: RD Licensing link to https://licensecode.one.microsoft.com/ broken RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was following the Test Lab Guide: RD Licensing
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134160.aspx

Step 4 "Request RDS Beta CALs" is failing since the provided link https://licensecode.one.microsoft.com/ is broken. Or better: This website only responds with an error and no beta cals can be obtained therefore. Tried with several browsers, result is always the same. Not sure if the root cause is the expired security certificate (expired 15. November 2014).

Please could you either fix this server problem, provided an alternative link or any other way to get evaluation RDS user CALs for my trials. Very few and valid for few days are fully sufficient.

Best regards, PraxisServatur
    Monday, April 20, 2015 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This request Beta RDS CALs is not applicable since Windows Server 2012 is no longer in Beta.  You can evaluate without having any RDS CALs installed since the RDSH server will be within its 120-day grace period.

-TP

• Edited by TP []MVP Monday, April 20, 2015 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by TP []MVP Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by PraxisServatur Thursday, April 23, 2015 1:34 PM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately there are no "trial" RDS CALs that you can use for testing.  Additionally, please understand that while having Licensing Diagnoser showing green is good sign, it is not a guarantee that you will not have an issue.

Generally it work fine in workgroup configuration, however, some functionality may not work or work as expected.  For example, there is no tracking/issuance for Per User RDS CALs.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This request Beta RDS CALs is not applicable since Windows Server 2012 is no longer in Beta.  You can evaluate without having any RDS CALs installed since the RDSH server will be within its 120-day grace period.

-TP

• Edited by TP []MVP Monday, April 20, 2015 11:01 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2015 11:00 AM
  • Hello TP,

I can confirm RD sessions are working fine without CALs and due to the builtin grace period you typically won't need them in a test setup or demo environment. 120 days is more than sufficient.

However, this was not the purpose for me performing this TestLab Guide. Since we want to deploy Terminal Server in work group, but Microsoft decided unfortunately to force people using domain/AD since Server2012, the only workaround is https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/2833839. The limitations of that workaround are fully o.k for us, we just need a simple RDSH for a maximum of 4 users.

Without RDS CALs installed RD License Diagnoser is of course showing warnings, even with RD sessions working due to the grace period.

By performing the TestLab Guide I just wanted to double check that we won't see RD license (server) related issues in this work group official work around later on in the life system. 

Is there any other way to get time limited/beta/otherwise restricted RDS CALs for free to test this? As originally intended by the Test Lab Guide. I just would like to see RD License diagnoser with green lights in this work group mode. 

Best regards, PraxisServatur 

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:29 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately there are no "trial" RDS CALs that you can use for testing.  Additionally, please understand that while having Licensing Diagnoser showing green is good sign, it is not a guarantee that you will not have an issue.

Generally it work fine in workgroup configuration, however, some functionality may not work or work as expected.  For example, there is no tracking/issuance for Per User RDS CALs.

Thanks.

-TP

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 5:43 AM
  • Hello,

this is interesting information but not too encouraging, since we have to use RDS User CALs.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on the kind of problems which could occur, what could be triggering these issues (e.g. first time a user connecting from a different machine as before) and also how to workaround if these really do occur.

http://justin-bennett-msjc.blogspot.de/2014/05/configure-server-2012-and-2012-r2-with.html

If you follow this nice blog you will notice that

• it is more or less applying the same procedure, uncle bob's just hacking the registry settings directly
    • is only deploying this configuration (RDS session host in work group mode with RDS user CALs) and not reporting any issues

So it seems that RDS user CALs and workgroup mode can indeed work together. If Microsoft is aware of potential issues, why this is not going to be fixed? Maybe it is already the case.

Another subtle difference between the two procedures (KB2833839 and uncle bob's) is that he doesn't mention the step 6 with the Policy settings. But it would be strange to me if this could trigger the issues you mentioned.

Best regards
    PraxisServatur

Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:05 PM
  •  I have stated the Per User CAL has worked for me in the past for workgroup mode, but you need to ensure you are following Microsoft Licensing on your own. Also, TP mentiones and KB 2473823 outlines Microsoft's RDMS Licensing guidelines and "Per User CAL tracking and reporting is not supported in workgroup mode". You need to ensure your licensing agreement supports what you're doing - that's not up to me to decide for anyone and nor have I claimed.

Justin Bennett

Thursday, April 23, 2015 4:45 PM