none
DNS NIC configuration for secondary domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• We have a single Server 2003 Domain Controller (DC1) and last Friday I created a Server 2008 R2 box (DC2) and I was using DCPROMO to make it a domain controller but at the last second I received a warning about creating a DNS record for DC2 on the DNS of DC1 and I left it there as I want to know exactly what do I need to add on the DNS of DC1 for DC2 for function properly.

Also, how should I configure the NIC's DNS setting of both DC's? Currently the DC1 has it's own IP in the DNS settings as primary and secondary DNS is blank. After I make DC2 a Domain Controller, do I point the DNS of DC1 to DC2 as the primary and vice versa?

So DC1 would look like this

DNS1: 192.168.75.22 (itself)

DNS2: 192.168.75.19

And DC2 would look like this:

DNS1: 192.168.75.19 (itself)

DNS2: 192.168.75.22

Saturday, November 5, 2016 3:53 PM

Answers

• Hi

If you are integrating with an existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the domain. Otherwise, no action is required.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hi

So DC1 would look like this

DNS1: 192.168.75.22 (itself)

DNS2: 192.168.75.19

And DC2 would look like this:

DNS1: 192.168.75.19 (itself)

DNS2: 192.168.75.22 >>>

These are correct dns ip configuration of a DC.Prefered DNS ip should be point to itself and alternate as the other.Then when you set these ip's on DC's,run "ipconfig /flushdns" and "ipconfig /registerdns" for properly configuration.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Sunday, November 6, 2016 2:20 AM
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the info. One more question, when I hit next get the following message. Is it ok to proceed and if not what steps do I need to take?

Monday, November 7, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Hi Pstoric,

>>Is it ok to proceed and if not what steps do I need to take?

Yes, it is, it means that you did not create DNS server for AD, you could click yes to deploy AD.

After you created AD, you could install DNS server for AD.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 2:52 AM
  • But we have DNS running already on DC1

This would add a secondary DNS on DC2 right?

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 1:21 PM
  • Hi

If you are integrating with an existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the domain. Otherwise, no action is required.

• Marked as answer by GlenTech83 Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:55 PM
  • Thanks but I don't think we have the need for that as nothing connects from outside. It's up and running!!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards

John

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 10, 2016 3:02 AM