none
UAG Client EndPoint Component Functionality - OWA RRS feed

• Question

• We currently publishing Exchange 2010 OWA via UAG. We are running UAG SP1 Update 1 Rollup 1 and TMG SP2 Rollup 1.

Our issue is as follows.  Currently, when users navigate to our OWA URL they are prompted to install some active X components (if using IE) or some java components (if running Firefox or Chrome).  We would like to disable this from happening so that no endpoint components are required to simply login to OWA.  I believe we can do that via UAG console -> https connections -> OWA Trunk -> Configure Trunk Settings -> Session tab -> select checkbox for 'disable component installation and activation'.

However, what don't know is what effect this might have on the OWA end user experience.  Do the FF UAG Endpoint components (java in FF/Chrome or active x in IE), when publishing OWA 2010 add or allow any real additional OWA specific functionality?  We are considering disabling the endpoint components but we want to make sure that not having them won’t reduce any functionality in OWA for Firefox/chrome/IE clients.  Are the UAG endpoint components purely for applying EndPoint policies in this instance (checking for up to date anti-virus etc)?

Please let me know if you require any additional information; thanks in advance for any responses!

Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Amig@. The endpoint components don't provide any additional functionality for accessing web applications (and OWA is a web application) other than assigning endpoint policies. A different thing is the publishing of client/server applications for whom the client components are required. Bear in mind that disabling the component installation is global per trunk so you couldn't mix web and client/server applications in the same trunk, that is, you should have a dedicated trunk for OWA.

Regards

// Raúl - I love this game

• Marked as answer by pcarlson Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:17 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Amig@. The endpoint components don't provide any additional functionality for accessing web applications (and OWA is a web application) other than assigning endpoint policies. A different thing is the publishing of client/server applications for whom the client components are required. Bear in mind that disabling the component installation is global per trunk so you couldn't mix web and client/server applications in the same trunk, that is, you should have a dedicated trunk for OWA.

Regards

• Marked as answer by pcarlson Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:17 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Just as a follow up, we went ahead and disabled the endpoint components as we have nothing else on the Exchange 2010/OWA trunk.  After doing so, OWA is actually quite a bit faster to respond which is nice given that we weren't using them to actually do anything (like applying endpoint policies etc.).
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:19 PM
  • Glad to hear it. And thanks for sharing :)

• Edited by RMoros Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:59 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:58 AM