none
Queue Service using a lot of memory RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PS2007 SP3 system with an App and a Web server. The server running as the app has two cores and 8GB of Memory running on WINS 2008 x64. I have set the number of Queuing services to be running to 2 to match my number of cores. The problem is that one queue service consumes 2.6GB of Memory (Which is about what it consumed prior to a recent upgrade to 8GB). The other Queue service which seems to be identical only consumes 25mb and never fluctuates. Is this normal? My users are reporting some slowness and I would think that the service not working properly could be part of the issue. Shouldnt the two Queing services share the work load more evenly?
    Friday, February 15, 2013 2:58 PM

All replies

• Brthomas,

Often its confusing while tweaking Project Queue settings  (queue threads) based on CPU and Number of processors. As a thumb rule you should configure queue thread settings based on number of app servers and how much SQL server can handle. For example if you have 2 core CPU's and if you change queue thread settings to 6 eventually number of threads will be 6 since you have 1 app server. So I would recommend to restore queue thread settings unless its causing performance issue and focus on SQL server site. Make sure that MS recommended database maintenance plan is in place and data drives are performing as expected.

Brian Smith's excellent will provide more insight about queue performance

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brismith/archive/2012/09/19/when-your-project-server-queue-slows-down.aspx

Hrishi Deshpande – Senior Consultant DeltaBahn
    Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 4:26 AM
  • I do seem to recall that the PS2007 queue has some form of memory leak in it. Restarting the service will free up the memory but it will slowly start to creep back up. 

In the cases I have seen it, it was in environments where timesheets were in heavy use, and there were a large number of projects. 

I haven't however seen those problems in 2010 or 2013. 

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:39 AM
  • I think Alex is right, there were some bugs in this, but I think both Q's should be sharing the work equally.  Pragmatically, I would restart the service on a regular basis.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Sunday, February 17, 2013 10:40 PM
  • As far as I remember memory leakage issue was Project Server 2003 view notification services.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you.This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:53 AM
  • Thanks for everyones input. Did I understand correctly that since I have 2 CPUs on my single app box that I should have 2 Queing services running and the setting for that set to 2? If so that is what I have. If I restart the queue it does free up the memory however over time it does retake it. The other queue service doesnt take any more memory at all. So we dont know how to get that other Queue in use or tell if it is in use just releasing memory properly?

My System does have several large projects and timesheets are in heavy use. Thanks for your replies.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:28 PM
  • No in this scenario restore "Max Number Of Threads" to 4 which is default.

And also there are two types of queue one is Project and Another one is Timesheet, you probably looking at those.. Don't expect both will load balance each other.

Blog | < | LinkedIn

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:06 PM
  • Actually I see 2 timesheet services and 2 queue services currently.

Correction

2Eventing Services and 2 Queueing services

• Edited by brthomas Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:10 PM