The evaluation period has expired RRS feed

• Question

• Very bad day, I encountered in the installation of sql server ubuntu "The evaluation period has expired" error, who can tell me how to solve. Who else can tell me how to change the name of the instance, the default name too remembered, can you install multiple instances?
    Sunday, February 25, 2018 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi sql server on mac,

>>I encountered in the installation of sql server ubuntu "The evaluation period has expired" error.

If we meet the error message "The evaluation period has expired", we may have used a expired installation media, in some previous version of SQL Server 2017 on Linux,  it provides an evaluation with a 180 day period. How did you install SQL Server on Ubuntu? Which edition did you select when you install it?

Please refer to this document to install it: Quickstart: Install SQL Server and create a database on Ubuntu, please check if you are using the true package: 

sudo add-apt-repository "$(wget -qO- https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/16.04/mssql-server-2017.list)"

>>Who else can tell me how to change the name of the instance, the default name too remembered, can you install multiple instances?

As mentioned by Olaf, SQL Server on Linux did not have a concept of named instance (as you said "change the name of the instance"), SQL Server on Linux only supports one instance one host, we can use docker to install multiple instances on it.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I guess you have installed Evaluation Edition of SQL Server; that expires after 180 days. Uninstall SQL Server and install e.g. the free Express Edition instead; that don't expire.

SQL Server on Linux don't support named instances, on bare metal you can run only one default instance. To more then one SQL Server on Linux you can use Docker container: Quickstart: Run the SQL Server 2017 container image with Docker

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

• Proposed as answer by Teige Gao Monday, February 26, 2018 1:37 AM
    Sunday, February 25, 2018 12:55 PM
  • You need uninstall from current machine before uninstall take backup of ldf and mdf of folder /var/opt/mssql/

Uninstall MSSQL from Ubantu..

then you install mssql as  you want..

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

• Edited by AV111 Sunday, February 25, 2018 1:04 PM
    Sunday, February 25, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Hi sql server on mac,

>>I encountered in the installation of sql server ubuntu "The evaluation period has expired" error.

If we meet the error message "The evaluation period has expired", we may have used a expired installation media, in some previous version of SQL Server 2017 on Linux,  it provides an evaluation with a 180 day period. How did you install SQL Server on Ubuntu? Which edition did you select when you install it?

Please refer to this document to install it: Quickstart: Install SQL Server and create a database on Ubuntu, please check if you are using the true package: 

sudo add-apt-repository "$(wget -qO- https://packages.microsoft.com/config/ubuntu/16.04/mssql-server-2017.list)"

>>Who else can tell me how to change the name of the instance, the default name too remembered, can you install multiple instances?

As mentioned by Olaf, SQL Server on Linux did not have a concept of named instance (as you said "change the name of the instance"), SQL Server on Linux only supports one instance one host, we can use docker to install multiple instances on it.

Best Regards,

Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 26, 2018 1:37 AM
  • I found out that I'm missing something in that link, although not, but I think the name of the instance is an essential function
    Tuesday, February 27, 2018 12:28 PM