Lookups in sharepoint lists RRS feed

• Question

• I have a series of sharepoint lists where I am using one as a lookup for another. In list A I have a list of courses available. List B is "courses offered" with the course name coming as a lookup from list A (course name is in the title field in list A). List C is a list of students. In trying to build List D which is the intersection of courses offered (by date and time) with students who wish to enroll, I am trying to populate the course field from List B. However, when I select "lookup" while building the column, I don't have the choice of "courses offered" as a lookup field in the referenced lookup list (List B).

HOW do I get ALL the columns in list B to appear as choices for lookup when building List D?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIA

Fdbratt

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 6, 2011 5:08 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, September 5, 2011 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Fdbratt,

By default, Lookup type can look up field with type of single line of text that has already exist on site, we can see this in create column page Lookup(information already on this site), since “courses offered” is a look up field in ListB, it is not in the default scope of lookup field type, so it will not be shown in the drop down list of fields that can be selected.

In this situation, to get the “courses offered” field’s value of ListB and create a column in ListD look up the field value, here I have a workaround:

1.       Create a column in ListB named “courses offered copied”, type “single line of text”.

2.       Create a column in ListD, type “Lookup(information already on this site)”, get information from ListB, in this column “courses offered copied”.

3.       Create a workflow in SharePoint Designer:
    a. Open your site in SharePoint Designer.

b. Create a workflow for ListB, set “select start options for items in ListB” to allow this workflow to be manually started from an item; automatically start this workflow when an item is created; automatically start this workflow when an item is changed.
    c. Set workflow action: Set Field in Current Item:  set course offered copied to ListB: course offered

d. Finish this workflow.

4.       Start workflow on ListB’s item, this workflow will copy the value of “courses offered” to “courses offered copied”, then column in ListD can look up “courses offered copied” field.

Please check whether it works, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Wednesday, September 7, 2011 3:18 AM