usb problems RRS feed

• Question

• Windows says my usb drives are up to date. I have 3 usb slots but it only shows 2 on my device manager. none of them work though. when i plug anything in to any of them nothing happens at all. it doesn't show that i have a flash drive or an ipod plugged in or anything. i have tested these items on other computers and they work fine. i cant even charge my ipod. I don't know what do do. please help.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:02 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.  Remove the related registry values

========================

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1)  Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

2)  In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3)  In the details pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

4)  Right-click UpperFilters, and delete it as well.

5)  Click Yes when you are prompted.

6)  Exit Registry Editor and restart the computer.

2. Please check if you can find any unknown device entry is listed in Device Manager when you plug some USB devices. If an unknown device entry is listed, delete the unknown device entry. To do this, follow these steps:

1)  Click Start, type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search box, and then click devmgmt in the Programs list.

2)  Expand Other devices. Then, delete the unknown device entries.

3)  Determine whether any USB device entry is installed incorrectly. If any USB device entry is installed incorrectly, delete the USB device entry.

4)  Connect the USB device to the computer and check if it works then.

Considering that the issue should be related to the hardware, I would like to recommend that you also contact your computer’s manufacture for technical support.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 9:14 AM