W7 starts like Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I'm having a strange issue. I just installed my 3rd PC with W7 Ultimate x64. After installation, when W7 boot up, it shows the little animation of the W7 4 windows creating the MS logo.

However, after downloading the updates from Windows Update, it starts like Vista (green progress bar).

I already deleted the partition and re-installed the OS twice but it keeps hapening only on this machine.

Any idea why this is hapening?

Thanks,

Eyal

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, August 16, 2010 12:23 AM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you run Hardware compatibility test before installing Win 7?

-AJ

Monday, August 9, 2010 4:48 AM
  • Yes. No hardware issues were detected. Also this machine used to run Vista before I upgraded to W7.

The Hardware Setup is:

Asus M3N78-VM Mottherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz

4 GB DDR2 PC 6400

ATI 4670 PCIe GPU (not using the onboard gpu)

W7 score - 5.9

Monday, August 9, 2010 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

First, please try System Restore to get back to the state which the issue didn’t occur.

If the issue persists, trying to boot from the Windows 7 DVD, answer a few questions, navigate to the Repair Option and choose Command Prompt, then:

Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter
    Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter

After that, close the cmd prompt. Remove the DVD and let the computer restart.

For more information, please refer to the following link:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

If it doesn’t work, go back to the Repair Options and run Startup Repair several times.

Also, you may check the Boot options in System Configuration.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:03 AM
  • Right Click on the Command prompt icon, choose "Run as Administrator"

Type      bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US

Hit enter

When you reboot, the proper screen should appear.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:36 PM
  • It boots faster without the animation. Delete "bootres.dll"
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 3:16 PM
  • It boots faster without the animation. Delete "bootres.dll"

can you proof this?

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 10:58 PM
  • Bootres.dll has the animation .gif images. It plays the entire animation and takes some time to complete. From what I can tell if I delete it the vista scan bar plays only untill the loading process it hides is fineshed. Try it. 

Anyway, the coloured dots are hipnotic.

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:59 AM
  • I know that the dll contains the Animation. I mean your theory of faster booting. Can you proof this.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:06 PM
  • What's the point? You can prove me right or wrong on your end with a stopwatch.
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Is it really an issue?

When I "upgraded" my EeePC from XP Home to Seven HP, it did that (and still does); I wondered why but it never bothered me. I used an "Upgrade" Home Premium DVD which did a "clean" install from XP.

I have 2 other PCs running Seven and those start with the dots changing to Windows logo. One is an OEM x64 Home Premium DVD install, the other is an "Upgrade" from XP Pro to Seven Pro 32 bits.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know why it does that but it's not that important since the EeePC runs better with Seven than it did with XP except from one video mode not available under Seven; vertically scrooling 1024x768 which was useful with some applications under XP.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:58 PM
  • If you like the Vista screen then it is not an issue, however, it is easily fixed.

Right Click on the Command prompt icon, choose "Run as Administrator"

Hit enter

Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Be careful, using the program "easybcd" will revert 7's boot animation back to vista's green scan sequence.
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:48 PM
  • If you like the Vista screen then it is not an issue, however, it is easily fixed.

Right Click on the Command prompt icon, choose "Run as Administrator"

Hit enter

Does it work with bcdedit /set {current} locale fr-CA

Anyway it's not that I like the Vista screen it's more that I don't care.

Thank you anyway.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:31 PM
  • I guess you are one of those people who's life is not enriched by boot screen animations or other similar forms of entertainment. I like the vista bar because there is a chance if the dots collide at to great a speed they may spontaneously explode causing irreparable damage to my monitor. Not. :]

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:49 PM
  •  

"Does it work with bcdedit /set {current} locale fr-CA"

I'm not sure. You could try it but it really doesn't matter.

Sunday, August 15, 2010 8:39 PM
  • I did this and it worked, it only worked once. please reply to everett271@gmail.com

Monday, September 5, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I'm having the exact same experience with my EeePC 1000HA
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:13 PM