Client Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Is there a way of automatically installing the client? Some of the documentation implied that  by deploying a policy to a computer that would allow the computer to automatically download the client.  I’ve setup WSUS 2 to download “Updates” in addition to “Definition Updates”, configured group policy for automatic updates and deployed a policy.

The client won’t install automatically on my test PC’s. If I logon as administrator I’m given the option of downloading the client. If I logon as a normal user I don’t get any notification (and probably won’t have the rights to install software anyway). Should I be using SMS to install the client software and WSUS to install the virus definition updates? If so would it be sensible to configure WSUS to download  only “definition updates” for Forefront client security - ignoring “updates” and “all Windows products”?

Are there any issues with normal users getting definition updates... i.e. do they have to be logged on as administrator?

Thanks

Martin

Monday, June 11, 2007 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin

Thanks for the Q's - I'll try to cover them one-by-one

Q1:  Is there an automatic client install via WSUS?

A1:  Yes - The client package is available in the "Updates" category and must be downloaded and the EULA accepted before it can be available for deployment.  You also need to deploy a policy to the client machines and configure them to check into WSUS

Clients that check into WSUS with the approved package and the FCS policy will attempt to download and install the package. 

By default, the machine's AU (Automatic update) settings are used, so in your case, it sounds like it's set to "Download and notify".  To get the client to install automatically, you'd need to configure AU to download/install automatically (by default, at 3am). 

You can use SMS to deploy the client, but you'll need to create your own package, but that system works just fine for getting the bits out to your machines (definitely use WSUS for signatures though)

There are no issues with normal users getting definition updates

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Hi Chris

Thanks for the quick response.

If I use SMS for client deployment, where can I download the latest client exe file?

If I use WSUS for client deployment, will users need to be computer admins for installation to work correctly?

Many thanks

Martin

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:58 AM
  • don't know about the latest client bits, but regarding the WSUS policy, you can configure in your GPO that non-admin users can recieve update notifications and then everyone will be able to install it... :-)
    Monday, June 18, 2007 8:03 PM
  • Hello!

As for the latest client bits, I'm not sure which version you have now, but you can definitely download the RTM Eval edition from the Forefront site

Thanks

Chris

Forefront Client Security PM

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:29 PM