none
CentOS 6.8 - Kernel 2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After updating our kernel to 2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64; we're getting a kernel panic right upon the boot sequence:

We've tried to upgrade our LIS to the latest version (4.1.1) but we're still getting that kernel panic error message.

The only way to get rid of the error message and actually being able to boot into 2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64 is to completely uninstall LIS.

Is there a way to get both (LIS and newest kernel) working together ?

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

-Luc

Friday, May 27, 2016 2:42 AM

Answers

• Luc,

There are differences in the kernels that prevent LIS 4.1.1 from being installed on RHEL 6.8. Before you upgrade to RHEL 6.8 you will need to uninstall the LIS download and rely only on the built-in support until a new release of LIS with RHEL 6.8 support is released.

We have been working on supporting RHEL 6.8, but we had not seen this particular kernel panic. It's clear that there are enough differences that it is not a good idea to try to use the RPMs for other versions.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, --jrp

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

• Marked as answer by ltellier Monday, June 6, 2016 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:14 PM

All replies

• Thanks for your report, we will investigate and get back to you.

Thanks, --jrp

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:06 PM
  • Luc,

There are differences in the kernels that prevent LIS 4.1.1 from being installed on RHEL 6.8. Before you upgrade to RHEL 6.8 you will need to uninstall the LIS download and rely only on the built-in support until a new release of LIS with RHEL 6.8 support is released.

We have been working on supporting RHEL 6.8, but we had not seen this particular kernel panic. It's clear that there are enough differences that it is not a good idea to try to use the RPMs for other versions.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, --jrp

• Marked as answer by ltellier Monday, June 6, 2016 2:21 PM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 11:14 PM
  • Luc,

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks, --jrp

Thank you for the clarification! Hopefully RHEL 6.8 will get LIS support soon.

Cheers,

-Luc

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:20 PM
  • We are working on it. There are always differences (especially in what LIS is built in) we have to account for in different releases, which is why we have different RPMs for different kernels.

Thanks, --jrp

Monday, June 6, 2016 4:38 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Wish I saw this thread before I upgraded to 6.8 but thought I'd chime in with what I saw on our chosen guinea pig machine this evening. Upgraded to CentOS 6.8 with Kernel 2.6.32-642.1.1.

Reverted to built-in support for now.

Thanks,

Alan

Saturday, June 25, 2016 2:55 AM