none
ECF bound to a lookup that gets values from project team ? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to create a lookup table (and the corresponding task-level ECF) that gets its contents dynamically from the project team?

For example, when I open Project1, the lookup gets its values from that project team. When I open Project2, it gets them from the Project2 team, etc.

Basically I need something like the "Resources" default field, so that I can set a "Task Owner" who's always a member of the project team...

Thanks in advance

Thursday, July 12, 2012 8:47 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish, but it is possible to create dynamic lookup fields with custom programming. With that said, I always encourage people to state the business problem rather than asking about a solution. It often opens the door to more possibilities.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 7:43 AM
  • Hi Gary,

Thanks for stopping by :)

The business requirement is as follows:

Each PM working on a plan inside Project Pro, wants to assign a "Task Owner" to groups of tasks judty for informational purposes. Evidently, there might be different owners per groups of tasks. The tricky point is that the PM should be able to pick the task owner name from a drop-down list. But this list must not contain all possible resource names in the company, rather than the names of the people actually participating in that specific project (i.e. belong to the project team). This means that the list is "dynamic", i.e. changes for each project depending on the already defined project team.

I cannot use the default Project Server Lookup table functionality because its values must be pre-populated. I also can't find a way to use the default "Resources" column in Project Pro that actually contains the project team names.

So my best option is to use the entire resource pool. Again, I need to pre-populate a lookup table and this is not optimal due to changes in the resource pool that won't be propagated.

TIA,

Tassos

• Edited by tasanton Friday, July 13, 2012 8:22 AM
    Friday, July 13, 2012 8:22 AM
  • I think that this should be doable with VBA and a non-enterprise custom field. If you tried this with an ECF, the field would end up containing the entire resource pool anyway.

Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:36 AM
  • I never thought of the VBA option, sounds interesting. I will give it a try, to see if values are kept when saving/re-opening the project in Project Server.

Thanks Gary !

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:42 AM
  • I think what you'd want to do is to refresh the value list using the on open event or on close event to make sure that the list remains current.

Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, July 13, 2012 8:47 AM