none
2007 Enterprise Global Issues / Reset? RRS feed

• Question

• Having some weirdness in our enterprise global with some custom views.  Almost seems as if IDs for a number of views have been mismatched or swapped.  When trying to edit a view from More Views it brings up a different view then the selected view, ie select view named "LS Entry" and click edit it brings up "Custom Gantt Chart" and vice versa with those two views.  Also when trying to delete these views from the organizer it won't delete the view I have selected but the other custom view, or some different view gets deleted instead.  Sometimes even when deleting it causes Project Pro to crash.

Is there a way to correct, I have no issue with deleting and recreating many of these views, or even starting from a default enterprise global template, but don't know how to reset back to default.

Also to note this is an upgraded 2007 server from 2003 from almost 2 years ago, and these views were likely built in 2003.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:11 PM

Answers

• I can provide the steps to recreate the enterprise global. But keep in mind that, it will remove all of your tables,views and calendars.

To fix the problem without recreating the enterprise global, restore the last e-global backup from your Archive database. If you do not have a backup of the e-global file, then you must recreate it using the following procedure:

1. Backup your system
    2. Save all of your enterprise views, tables, filters, reports, groups, forms, maps and toolbars and move them to an MPP file.
    3. Run the SQL script that creates the e-global (eglobal.sql). The script is located in:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Sql\Project Server\CORE\1033 (Your installation drive may vary)
    4. Once the e-global is rebuilt, check it out, open the MPP file you used to save all of the elements and then use the organizer to move everything back.  Note that in Project 2007, custom fields and calendars are not stored in the e-global as they were in 2003.

Important Note: Take all the four project databases backup before performing this action. It will help us to revert back in case of any disaster.

Cheers. Happy troubleshooting !!! Sriram E - MSFT Enterprise Project Management
    • Marked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by cv101MVP Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Hello Koolin,

very careful about the calendar part. Take backup of your calendar using administrative backup.

Later follow the step 2 and take rest all the items backup.

Then once the eglobal is ready, restore the calendar, then restore the rest.

I would recommend you to do it on the test server before production.

• Marked as answer by cv101MVP Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:02 PM

All replies

• I can provide the steps to recreate the enterprise global. But keep in mind that, it will remove all of your tables,views and calendars.

To fix the problem without recreating the enterprise global, restore the last e-global backup from your Archive database. If you do not have a backup of the e-global file, then you must recreate it using the following procedure:

1. Backup your system
    2. Save all of your enterprise views, tables, filters, reports, groups, forms, maps and toolbars and move them to an MPP file.
    3. Run the SQL script that creates the e-global (eglobal.sql). The script is located in:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\12.0\Sql\Project Server\CORE\1033 (Your installation drive may vary)
    4. Once the e-global is rebuilt, check it out, open the MPP file you used to save all of the elements and then use the organizer to move everything back.  Note that in Project 2007, custom fields and calendars are not stored in the e-global as they were in 2003.

Important Note: Take all the four project databases backup before performing this action. It will help us to revert back in case of any disaster.

• Marked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:33 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by cv101MVP Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:00 PM
    • Marked as answer by cv101MVP Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Thanks for the steps.  Restoring from archive probably isn't an option as this looks like its been a problem for a little while and backups would likely have the issue as well.  So will do the backup, run script, and restore from MPP a try tonight.

Thanks!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:55 PM
  • Hello Koolin,

very careful about the calendar part. Take backup of your calendar using administrative backup.

Later follow the step 2 and take rest all the items backup.

Then once the eglobal is ready, restore the calendar, then restore the rest.

I would recommend you to do it on the test server before production.

• Marked as answer by cv101MVP Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:27 PM
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 10:02 PM
  • Ok success!  Couple of notes.

Unfortunately no dev so I had to be bold and do on production.

Once I had ran the script, I opened the Enterprise Global and made a small change (splitter location) just to cause an actual save.  Closed Enterprise Global and Project Project, reopen and opened a project to test a publish which resulted in the following error:

The errors returned from the queue are as follows:
     Error ID: 12005
     Error ID: 26000

Detailed error below - send it to the administrator for more detailed troubleshooting.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <errinfo>
     <general>
      <class name="ActiveCacheQueuedMessageExecutionError">
       <error id="12005" name="ActiveCacheQueuedMessageExecutionError" uid="ff6e2d80-e84c-4663-afed-cc35a4039eea" error="System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_MSP_PROJECT_CALENDARS'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.MSP_PROJECT_CALENDARS'.&#xD;&#xA;The statement has been terminated.&#xD;&#xA;  at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)&#xD;&#xA;  at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)&#xD;&#xA;  at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)&#xD;&#xA;  at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)&#xD;&#xA;  at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader

and it goes on for a while but the important part - Violation of PRIMARY KEY constraint 'PK_MSP_PROJECT_CALENDARS'. Cannot insert duplicate key in object 'dbo.MSP_PROJECT_CALENDARS'

So then went to check the Enterprise Calendar, which was now blank.  So I did a restore via PWA administrative restore for Enterprise Resources and Calendars.  Checked the Enterprise Calendar and exceptions are now back.  Reloaded Project Pro, opened project, saved, published, WORKS!  Oddly I got the exact same error again after the restore on a creating a new project and saving to the server.  So closed, re-opened Project Pro, tried again and no error.

So you were definitely right on the money about the calendar issues.  So the only question is do I need to restore the rest?  Everything else seems to be working fine, no errors, other than then mentioned above, and have not reappeared.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Ok scratch some of that, further review of some task level custom fields and there is some information missing from them, oddly custom task text fields have their data and a custom task cost field does not?!

Anyway running short on time before people are cracking on it, decided I am just going back to the SQL backups from a couple of hours and I will wait for your reply on how much I need to restore, after the enterprise global script is run.  Something is definitely still a little off even after what I did above.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 10:19 AM
  • Hey, going to make another attempt at it tonight, with doing the restore of everything but the enterprise global after running the eglobal.sql.  Hopefully thats the part I am missing out on.  Let me know if I am not going down the right path...
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:40 PM
  • EGlobal.sql will not brake custom fields. I think some other issue you experienced.

But i feel you will be success this time :)

Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Success at last! After doing the eglobal.sql script, restoring calendar and then everything else but Entrprise Global and the projects from administrative restore in PWA everything seems to be in working order.  The reason for the enterprise custom field issues was because the new global has relocated a couple of fields to different columns in the reporting DB.  So it was just a matter of re-doing some custom reporting views to attach to these new fields and all was well.

Thanks for the help!

Thursday, September 23, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

what is your patch level? This was an issue with SP2 before CU August 2009 for Project Professional. So in your case it could have happened by modifying EGlobal with a client with SP2 applied only. To avoid this happening again, you could check your clients' patch level.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, September 27, 2010 11:28 AM
  • Just SP2 on both server and client, no CUs after SP2.  I'm convinced it had been present for a long time, like all the way back to when the upgrade from 2003 to 2007 happened.  Its just no one has been into the Eglobal too much since then.
    Monday, September 27, 2010 6:40 PM
  • Hi,

good luck so far. I think you have serveral possibilities now:

• Install most recent CUs on server and client (my favorite one)
    • Make an administrative backup before opening EGlobal. So you can restore if it happens again
    • Install http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973930/en-us on any client modifying EGlobal

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:40 AM