Strange Internet Explorer Problem - Please Help.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello , I have the weirdest problem, In win 7 64 bit,  Updates were installed automaticly.

When installing Internet Explorer 11 Updates i noticed that the updates weren't installed successfuly, Internet Explorer doesn't work , it opens and closes right away.

I uninstalled internet explorer 11 update from control panel - installed updates, still doesnt work, i uninstalled also internet explorer 10 and 9 updates because the Explorer still didn't work.

The situation now is that in the installed updates there is no evidence of internet explorer at all, Internet explorer still opens and closes right away.

I tried installing Explorer 9,10,11  but it says i already have internet explorer installed, when i install 9 it says i already have 9 installed same for 10 and 11 says i already have a more recent version.

I'm helpless please assist...

Thanks,

Sarit.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Sarit,

It would be kind of you to let us know the error message when we open the IE?

I would like to recommend you run System Update Readiness Tool to check the issue.

The System Update Readiness Tool can help fix problems that might prevent Windows updates and service packs from installing.

What is the System Update Readiness Tool?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/what-is-the-system-update-readiness-tool

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Blair Deng

Blair Deng
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, December 15, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hello, thank you for replying ... There isn't any error message , the explorer opens then close imiddiatly without any errors.

Like i said i tried uninstalling and installing , but got no where

The situation now is that in the installed updates there is no evidence of internet explorer at all, Internet explorer still opens and closes right away.

I tried installing Explorer 9,10,11  but it says i already have internet explorer installed, when i install 9 it says i already have 9 installed same for 10 and 11 says i already have a more recent version.

Please Help

Thanks....

Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:12 AM
  • 10 and 11 says i already have a more recent version.

Which means that you have IE11 already installed and your uninstalls only partially worked.  You can use msinfo32.exe to see this, e.g. using the version of  ieframe.dll  which will be in use as long as at least explorer.exe is running.

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/message/64a86e31-f687-4a56-a65e-a40e7419ede1

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:37 PM
    Answerer
  • can you try open the IE without any add-on?

you can find the link under start -> accessories -> sys tool -> ie (no add-on)

of try append the -extoff at the ie.exe at command prompt.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"  -extoff

if you can open the ie, 1 or multiple ie add-on is causing the issue:

- disable all add-on (from the no-addon ie)

- open ie as normal, does it work?

- if work, manually enable add-on 1 by 1, to identify the culplrit.

• Edited by Kelmen Monday, December 16, 2013 7:26 AM
    Monday, December 16, 2013 7:26 AM
  • Hi Robert, Can you clarify what should i do?
    Monday, December 16, 2013 8:08 AM
  • I tried open it from sys-tools- IE )NO Add on)

Still opens and closes immidiatly...

I'm helpless , I'm thinking restoring the comuter to an older version but i would like to avoid this if we can find a solution...

Thanks...

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:11 AM
  • I tried open it from sys-tools- IE )NO Add on)

Still opens and closes immidiatly...

I'm helpless , I'm thinking restoring the comuter to an older version but i would like to avoid this if we can find a solution...

Thanks...

Monday, December 16, 2013 8:11 AM
  • Hi Max , Thank you for replying...i tried everything you wrote still doesn't work... I used the DSIM to see which packages exists and i did found packages relaited to IE so i uninstalled them but i only manage to uninstall 2 of them succesfully.

B.T.W

no mather what i do, even after uninstall of the CAB (from the download you told me) there is still IE folder exists in c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer - with all the files....and of course the same issue- opens and closes immidiatly.

Attached a photo of the packages i found.

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:02 PM
  • maybe the stuck IE11 can be uninstalled by the steps outlined by Exotic Hadron here.

Does it have to be that "exotic"?  <eg>

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how GregAshley's method worked/works.  E.g. apparently all that was/is required is to rename active instances of IE11 modules?  Then WU/AU makes everything work normally?

I wonder if the problem is related to this observation that I made about the versions that Powershell sees:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/internet-explorer-10-andor-11-update-wont-install/70169e00-b391-4c95-a4aa-2d907aac08cb?page=5&msgId=d3dec262-c50d-4e30-9bca-293b5d3ebf67 

<quotes>

PS D:\> DIR -FILTER IEFRAME.DLL -RECURSE -NAME | get-item | select -expandproperty VersionInfo | sort-object FileVersion  |  ft FileVersion, FileName -Autosize

One strange thing is that the above Powershell list shows that ieframe.dll is now only at its highest level in WinSxS but msinfo32 Loaded Modules is showing that level for  %windir%\System32\ even though Powershell is showing that it is not yet that version?   I guess that implies that the WinSxS version is being used but msinfo32 is just assuming that it is being loaded from %windir%\System32\?   ProcMon may clarify.

</quotes>

I should probably ask him to do that Powershell list to see what version is showing in System32 now.  E.g. maybe that shows he has a real copy of the latest instead of just a real copy of the feature's base module?  Is it a copy or did he clobber his WinSxS module by doing this?  Who knows?  Where are the diagnostics for understanding and validating this WinSxS stuff?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 16, 2013 4:05 PM
    Answerer
  • My shourtcut points to c:\program files (x86) \internet explorer\iexplorer.exe

Is that wrong?

I manage to get to IE properties threw inetcpl.cpl command and reset all settings, didn't help...

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Hi Max, The version is 11.0.9600.16428

created - 13.11.2013

The 2 packages i manage to remove are:1. Microsoft-Windows-Internet explorer -optional- package ~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~8.0.7601.17514

2.Microsoft-Windows-Internet explorer -optional- package ~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~8.0.7601.17514

the packages i didn't manage are :

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514
    State : Installed
    Release Type : Language Pack
    Install Time : 09/12/2013 13:55

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514
    Release Type : Feature Pack

Thanks....

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:10 PM
  • Attached a photo of the packages i found.

Where?  If it is text you could paste.  But did you try that Powershell pipeline I showed?  You could try it with  iexplore.exe  instead of  ieframe.dll  but it looks as if  iexplore.exe  has not had as many updates, so that is one reason why I chose/choose ieframe.dll.   However, the main reason for choosing ieframe.dll  is that  System Information Loaded Modules (msinfo32.exe) will always have an instance of that which would have been loaded by/for explorer.exe.  Otherwise in order to show the version of the main executable that way, it would actually have to be open somewhere.  In many cases, users claim that there is no iexplore.exe anywhere.  Usually that just means that they have unchecked Internet Explorer in Windows Features because that is essentially all that doing that is supposed to do.  However, it is also supposed to hide any shortcuts associated with that executable to try to avoid the sort of confusion you seem to be having. 

Details matter.  All you have to do is expose enough details, look at them, see a pattern in them and then make changes to try to make a logical change in the pattern for the next time.  You can even try doing that with imperfect knowledge about how things work by trying to do safe or recoverable experiments which help you draw inferences about that.  My problem at the moment is that I do not understand how WinSxS works in relation to both iexplore.exe and msinfo32.exe; otherwise I might be advising that you try what apparently worked for GregAshley.

BTW it is also not clear to me if you have tried Blair Deng's suggestion to use CheckSUR.  If you did there would also be a log from it that you could look at for clues.  E.g. in particular there might be a problem noted there which the repair portion of that tool could not deal with.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 4:49 PM
    Answerer
  • brute-force all its dll's out by hand, and then IE11 would install.

Or perhaps the problem is explorer.exe?  E.g. could the update be run without it running?  Then there wouldn't be anything running with the latest version of IE modules via WinSxS, just whatever is now in %windir%\System32.  That would be obsolete, so then maybe the update could proceed?

In fact, I just realized that this is the way that I always do updates now.  Never try to do them when explorer.exe is running or at least not manually.  Always wait until Restart or Shutdown.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, December 17, 2013 5:09 PM
    Answerer
  • As you see right click on iexplorer did give the version it's : 11.0.9600.16428

and those 2 updates which i couln't remove are 

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~en-US~6.1.7601.17514
    Release Type : Language Pack

Package Identity : Microsoft-Windows-IE-Troubleshooters-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.7601.17514
    Release Type : Feature Pack

Isn't there a force uninstallation to all iexplorer components? and then force install?

Thanks...

Thursday, December 19, 2013 12:02 PM
  • It acts weird when safe-mode is put into the mix.

What has never been clear to me is what happens in the registry then.  E.g. look where PendingFileRenameOperations and SetupExecute are located: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager

I think a different ControlSet is used during a safe boot, so what happens to pending updates if you try to switch boot modes?  Should we try copying some of it then if that's what we want to happen?

C.f.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie10-windows_7/internet-explorer-10-andor-11-update-wont-install/70169e00-b391-4c95-a4aa-2d907aac08cb?page=5&msgId=e72c19c8-8df5-415e-8f67-19e0426b69c8 

BTW thanks so much for your favlets.  I use them all the time.   Q.v.  ; )

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, December 20, 2013 4:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi , Max, I didn't understand if this is the command "dism /online /add-package:IE-Win7.CAB"

because i tried this and this is the response :

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    Image Version: 6.1.7600.16385
    An error occurred trying to open - IE-Win7.CAB Error: 0x8007000
    Error: 3
    The system cannot find the path specified.
    The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Robert in the registry this is the content of the key you said:

\??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1533D.tmp\SQMAPI.DLL
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE1533D.tmp
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE18583.tmp\SQMAPI.DLL
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE18583.tmp
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9C0FD.tmp\SQMAPI.DLL
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE9C0FD.tmp
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE142E9.tmp\SQMAPI.DLL
    \??\C:\Windows\TEMP\IE142E9.tmp

Does that tell you something?

Monday, December 23, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Does that tell you something?

I think it is just specifying deletion of those temporary instances and their temporary directories.  Why, I have no idea.  Even less why the same module name is involved 4 times.   To check you could run ProcMon for its Boot Logging option.   Were you running 4 updates which would have changed the same module and not allowing each to reboot?  Again, running ProcMon while the updates were running could clarify what is going on.  Others may be able to read between the lines of the associated log entries (and manually correlate all the concurrency implied) but I find using ProcMon to do that essential.  Besides, it supplements whatever diagnostics which are being provided by allowing you to look at all preceding registry and file accesses which might help explain any one log message.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, December 23, 2013 5:13 PM
    Answerer