Remote Server Administration Tools released yet RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a reason why the Remote Server Administration Tools for Server 2012 have not been released yet?  They are kind of necessary to deploy Server 2012.
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi, Rob,

I'm the technical writer for Remote Server Administration Tools; I have some information that might help you.

Although the version of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 that is currently live (and yes, that is labeled "Release Preview") is supported only on Windows 8 Release Preview, it can be installed on Windows 8 RTM without any difficulties for testing purposes; that should unblock your testing.

However, when the Windows 8 RTM version replaces it, and "Release Preview" is removed from the download cover page, you will need to uninstall the current version and install the Windows 8 RTM version to use the fully-supported RSAT pack.  This should be another few days; I cannot give you an exact date at this time.

I hope that makes sense and helps.  The current version runs fine on Windows 8 RTM for testing purposes, but is supported only on Windows 8 Release Preview.

Thank you,

Gaby

• Proposed as answer by Aiden_Cao Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by RobCannon Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

However, we have already released the Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 Release Preview edition. You may download from the following official link. And there is no more detailed information for Windows 8 Enterprise/Pro. We can wait for the official announcement for this. Your understanding is highly appreciated.

Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 Release Preview

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28972

Deploying Windows 8 Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servermanager/archive/2012/07/30/deploying-windows-8-remote-server-administration-tools-rsat.aspx

Best Regards,

Aiden

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Aiden Cao

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Hi, Rob,

I'm the technical writer for Remote Server Administration Tools; I have some information that might help you.

Although the version of Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 that is currently live (and yes, that is labeled "Release Preview") is supported only on Windows 8 Release Preview, it can be installed on Windows 8 RTM without any difficulties for testing purposes; that should unblock your testing.

However, when the Windows 8 RTM version replaces it, and "Release Preview" is removed from the download cover page, you will need to uninstall the current version and install the Windows 8 RTM version to use the fully-supported RSAT pack.  This should be another few days; I cannot give you an exact date at this time.

I hope that makes sense and helps.  The current version runs fine on Windows 8 RTM for testing purposes, but is supported only on Windows 8 Release Preview.

Thank you,

Gaby

• Proposed as answer by Aiden_Cao Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:33 AM
    • Marked as answer by RobCannon Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:30 PM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:22 AM
  • I didn't think that version would work, but it seems to be working.  Thanks!

BTW, please have someone get the menu item that brings up IIS Admin to make it so that IIS Admin is connected to the selected server and not my computer.  Pretty useless, otherwise.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:36 PM
  • When the final rsat tools come out will we be able to run AD in 32bit mode? This is the now the only thing making me need a remote machine and is a real pain esp as I could in windows 7 64bit.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:03 PM
  • It looks like the version up there right now is a Preview release that is specifically updated to target the Win8 RTM.

When you go search for "Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8" on MS downloads, it lists the "Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 8 Release Preview", with a posted date of 5/31/2012.  That's when the Win8 Release preview itself came out.

Right now, when you go to that page, everything looks the same with the description for the Release Preview.  However, the date published shows 9/7/2012.

I've downloaded the install, and it has a digital signature dates 7/27/2012, which is when the Win8 RTM was produced.

It installs on the Win8 RTM, and the license acceptance describes it as pre-release, so it does look like they'll be a different version coming out later.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:45 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the info but the current version does not install OK on Win8 pro x64.

It reports no errors and appears to go through but nothing is added to admin tools or the Windows features area. I've got two Win8 pro x64 machines on entirely different hardware on different domains in different locations and both show exactly the same behavior.

thanks

Rob

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 7:00 PM
  • I haven't tried the Pro version, but I've installed RSAT on 2 Ent versions x64 RTM and have had no trouble.

Gaby, thanks for the explanation and thanks to your team for making it available right away.  We had to wait a while for both Vista and Windows 7 if I remember correctly.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Hi, crummock,

I've got a question for you:  what is the system UI language of your Windows 8 Pro machines?  Is it en-US?  en-GB?  Please let me know.

Thanks,

Gaby

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hello Gaby,

this was solved in another thread.

Please see the answer in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/d908c9a9-e622-461a-93c2-ecaa4ac0f4fa

Anyone other than US users (en-us language) have to follow this or similar work around for now. I am in the UK so had en-gb installed until following this resolution. You don't have to change anything to use en-us. You can stay with whatever you have now but en-us has to be in the system

regards

Rob

• Edited by crummock Friday, September 21, 2012 7:43 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 7:41 PM