Setting multiple App-V Publishing servers on clients globally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently we use a DNS Alias record to load balance our clients globally.  This record holds approx 10 publishing servers in our different regions globally.  Each region has its own publishing server.  We have one Management server and DB located in our main Region.  All servers have identical content.

A Loan Balancer is not currently an option for us.

Setting up GPO for each region to point to their specific Publishing server is another way I can think to acheive what I'm looking for.

Are there any other options?

Listing all possible publishing servers in the clients registry, would that work?  I'm thinking; Clients would connect to the first in the list each time rather the progressing through the list.  Unless content was region specific, in which case it would cycle through until it finds the the content server with the right data.

Thanks in advance for your help.

JohnS

Monday, June 12, 2017 11:18 AM

All replies

• If you configure multiple publishing servers (trough GPO), multiple scheduled tasks will be created to perform syncs against those specific server. So if you add ALL your 10 servers: at logon (or at interval) 10 syncs will take place. This is not a good idea (especially if all content stores are identical, and working with branch offices -> sync from one branch office to all other ones, etc).
    If you manually add all servers (through registry), nothing will happen, because no scheduled tasks are created which performs the sync(s). If you besides that create 1 GPO, the sync will always be done against serverid 1. So again a nogo.

You can always fall back on powershell, and use the cmdlets to add (and/or set) de specific publishing server for each branch office.
    Why is creating a specific GPO for each branch office with it's own pub server no option? This is the most easy and admin friendly way to go for.

Roy Essers

Sunday, June 18, 2017 9:40 PM