none
question about SQL alias

Question

• Hello -

We are planning to migrate our SharePoint databases from  SQL Server 2008 databases to a new server with SQL Server 2012 installed.

I can use SQL Alias (cliconfg) where I can specify the old SQL server name (server alias) and the new server name.    What would happen if we ended up deleting the old SQL server name from DNS?  Would SQL alias continue to redirect and function normally?

thanks

Monday, April 10, 2017 4:29 PM

Answers

• SQL Aliases have no deps on DNS, so yes you can delete the old SQL server post-migration/A record without issues.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by XRS Monday, April 10, 2017 5:19 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:00 PM

All replies

• SQL Aliases have no deps on DNS, so yes you can delete the old SQL server post-migration/A record without issues.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by XRS Monday, April 10, 2017 5:19 PM
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:00 PM
  • Thanks Trevor!  

On a somewhat related note, do you know if we can use SQL Alias with TFS?  We have SharePoint databases within TFS.    I have this posted out on the TFS forum, but I figured I'd ask here too. 

thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1b0816f9-3f95-497c-9a3c-85a0d1be58b4/can-i-use-sql-alias-with-tfs?forum=tfsadmin

Monday, April 10, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Not super experienced with TFS, but anything that uses the standard Windows libraries to connect to SQL can leverage a SQL Alias.

Trevor Seward

Monday, April 10, 2017 5:25 PM
  • No worries, I couldn't find this information in any documentation or website.  I'll open a ticket with MSFT and will post their response here once received.   thanks again.
    Monday, April 10, 2017 5:33 PM
  • In case anyone else is interested, here's the response from Microsoft support:

Issue Definition:

You are planning to migrate your TFS databases to a new SQL server. You wanted to know below things:

Is it possible to use a SQL alias to redirect to the new sql server?

Yes, You can use your SQL alias to redirect to the new SQL Server. Your account needs to have the following permissions.

Permission Requirements:

The Account running the upgrade needs the following permissions.

– Local Administrator on the Application Tier.

– SysAdmin on SQL Data Tier.

–For Reporting,

Ensure you have Report Manager and Local Admin on the report server permissions.

Ensure you have ServerAdmin Privilege on the Analysis Instance.

Is adding SQL alias on the TFS application and build server supported by Microsoft/TFS?

You are right. Adding SQL alias on the TFS application and build server works fine and we do support this scenario.

Monday, April 10, 2017 6:45 PM