Windows 10 - Cumulative Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a query on Windows 10 Cumulative updates approved through WSUS.

I've just found the latest Cumulative update to be a little over 1GB, as I have had to manually download and apply to a client.

However, this lead me to check to see if the same file was present on my WSUS - and it was.

I am surprised that a 1GB file would be classed as easily distributable to over WSUS due to the nature of the network, plus the nature of users to people to move around with their laptops/tablets, I am sure (and the installs seems to back this up) that users often carry away their device whilst it is midway through that 1GB download.

I wanted to ask if I am reading this wrong, are all non-cumulative Windows10 updates subsequently including in a later cumulative update.

IE if I am confident that the non-cumulative updates are being applied, could I decline the cumulative ones?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Friday, May 12, 2017 8:17 AM

Answers

• I am surprised that a 1GB file would be classed as easily distributable to over WSUS due to the nature of the network, plus the nature of users to people to move around with their laptops/tablets, I am sure (and the installs seems to back this up) that users often carry away their device whilst it is midway through that 1GB download.

when WUAgent/downloader creates a BITS job to download an update payload, BITS handles the resume/retry in the background, so a download which is disrupted will be resumed/retried and continue where it left off. So if your user disconnects or hibernates etc, that partial download isn't lost, it will be finished off when possible, verified for completeness, and then the install of that update payload is scheduled/offered/initiated as per the settings.

WUDO should operate, AFAIK, in the same manner (in case you're using WUDO instead of BITS)

Once the installation phase has begun, if the user disconnects from the network, that's fine, it's a local-process at this point.
    If the user/device tries to hibernate or shutdown, Windows will show that "busy doing updates, don't power-down" or it will pause the job, depending on the type of update it's doing and which stage/phase it's up to.. continue later at resume, or throw a failure and rollback the incomplete update_session.

is 1GB classed as easily distributable?
    >> well, I think that depends on a few things, which are likely to be quite variable across differing scenarios. If I have nice new computers with lots of great performance features, and a nice fat LAN/WAN, it's not likely to trouble me too much.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:13 AM
  • I've just found the latest Cumulative update to be a little over 1GB, as I have had to manually download and apply to a client.

However, this lead me to check to see if the same file was present on my WSUS - and it was.

Yes it should be. Even if you have enabled "Express Installation files", you'll still have the fullfile MSU/CAB;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-manage-updates-wsus#express-installation-files

[express installation files, is an option available on WSUS for many years now, but it's been revamped in Win10 1703]

• Marked as answer by AndyKUK Friday, May 19, 2017 7:22 AM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 9:16 AM
  • I wanted to ask if I am reading this wrong, are all non-cumulative Windows10 updates subsequently including in a later cumulative update.

IE if I am confident that the non-cumulative updates are being applied, could I decline the cumulative ones?

Up until Win10 1703, all updates for Win10 were handled in a Cumulative manner. So yes, every month's release included all previous month's bits.

But, this is sort of changing a little bit, as-of 1703

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/04/24/new-update-options-for-windows-10-1703/

Even so, you can't really *only* get/take the 'non-cumulative' ones, because those don't include security fix bits..

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Would the clients still download the full 1GB of the cumulative update even if they have the previous cumulative update?

I seem to recall some intelligence around this but was not sure if it was at this stage or only after the client receives the file and installs that it ignores the previously installed elements.

No, not if there is a matching/available express install file.

the Express Installation Files feature (whether directly from WU/MU or via WSUS if enabled on WSUS), is intended to determine what the gap is between "current state of computer" and "latest". this is the delta/differential, and, then a check will be done for a suitable express file to close that gap.

express files, is intended to require the client computer to download *only* the delta instead of the fullfile.

this is discussed in the links provided earlier.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:00 AM

All replies

• I am surprised that a 1GB file would be classed as easily distributable to over WSUS due to the nature of the network, plus the nature of users to people to move around with their laptops/tablets, I am sure (and the installs seems to back this up) that users often carry away their device whilst it is midway through that 1GB download.

when WUAgent/downloader creates a BITS job to download an update payload, BITS handles the resume/retry in the background, so a download which is disrupted will be resumed/retried and continue where it left off. So if your user disconnects or hibernates etc, that partial download isn't lost, it will be finished off when possible, verified for completeness, and then the install of that update payload is scheduled/offered/initiated as per the settings.

WUDO should operate, AFAIK, in the same manner (in case you're using WUDO instead of BITS)

Once the installation phase has begun, if the user disconnects from the network, that's fine, it's a local-process at this point.
    If the user/device tries to hibernate or shutdown, Windows will show that "busy doing updates, don't power-down" or it will pause the job, depending on the type of update it's doing and which stage/phase it's up to.. continue later at resume, or throw a failure and rollback the incomplete update_session.

is 1GB classed as easily distributable?
    >> well, I think that depends on a few things, which are likely to be quite variable across differing scenarios. If I have nice new computers with lots of great performance features, and a nice fat LAN/WAN, it's not likely to trouble me too much.

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:13 AM
  • I've just found the latest Cumulative update to be a little over 1GB, as I have had to manually download and apply to a client.

Yes it should be. Even if you have enabled "Express Installation files", you'll still have the fullfile MSU/CAB;

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-manage-updates-wsus#express-installation-files

[express installation files, is an option available on WSUS for many years now, but it's been revamped in Win10 1703]

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:16 AM
  • I wanted to ask if I am reading this wrong, are all non-cumulative Windows10 updates subsequently including in a later cumulative update.

Up until Win10 1703, all updates for Win10 were handled in a Cumulative manner. So yes, every month's release included all previous month's bits.

But, this is sort of changing a little bit, as-of 1703

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/04/24/new-update-options-for-windows-10-1703/

Even so, you can't really *only* get/take the 'non-cumulative' ones, because those don't include security fix bits..

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:19 AM
  • a little more clarity here

(everything is cumulative)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/WindowsAMA/message-id/97/thread-id/97

Friday, May 12, 2017 11:19 AM

Hi Don,

For the in depth answers on this.

Would the clients still download the full 1GB of the cumulative update even if they have the previous cumulative update?

I seem to recall some intelligence around this but was not sure if it was at this stage or only after the client receives the file and installs that it ignores the previously installed elements.

Thanks

Andy

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Would the clients still download the full 1GB of the cumulative update even if they have the previous cumulative update?

No, not if there is a matching/available express install file.

the Express Installation Files feature (whether directly from WU/MU or via WSUS if enabled on WSUS), is intended to determine what the gap is between "current state of computer" and "latest". this is the delta/differential, and, then a check will be done for a suitable express file to close that gap.

express files, is intended to require the client computer to download *only* the delta instead of the fullfile.

this is discussed in the links provided earlier.

Saturday, May 13, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Hi AndyKUK,

Just to check if the above reply could be of help? If yes, you may mark useful reply as answer, if not, welcome to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

Yes sorry for the delay, the information Don supplied was very helpful for my issue.

Thanks

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:23 AM