none
Using DPM 2010 with Data Domain backup-to-disk units

Question

• We have two replicated Data Domain B2D units in our environment that our other backup software uses.  The DD units are presented CIFS shares to the individual servers and the other backup software backs up to these shares.

From what we have read, there is no way with these Data Domain devices to get them to present a block-level disk so DPM can use it.  Data Domain's solution is to buy their Virtual Tape Library (VTL) add-on, which with some driver magic on the DPM server and configurations on the DD, will present storage space to the DPM server as a tape library.

My question is, has anyone had any experience with this scenario?  DD says there is no way for their equipment to present itself as a raw, block-level disk LUN to another device.  The VTL license is horribly expensive, but will purchase it if we get some confirmation from someone other than the DD sales rep that this is a viable solution.  We are wondering of there are any speed or "drive" (disk) contention issues with this setup.  DD's VTL can be configured for multiple tape drives, but each partition on the DD we setup is presented as a virtual tape.

Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, January 21, 2011 1:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Without specifically endorsing the DD-VTL, I can tell you that I have a DD530 connected to our DPM 2010 server(s) and have enabled tape library sharing between the two DPM servers and the DD530 works like a dream.  Yes, you can created mutiple VTL's and configure the number of drives, slots and tape capacity.  DPM sees it just like a physical tape library.   The DD VTL does disk de-dupe on the back end, and can replicate data between DD units.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Without specifically endorsing the DD-VTL, I can tell you that I have a DD530 connected to our DPM 2010 server(s) and have enabled tape library sharing between the two DPM servers and the DD530 works like a dream.  Yes, you can created mutiple VTL's and configure the number of drives, slots and tape capacity.  DPM sees it just like a physical tape library.   The DD VTL does disk de-dupe on the back end, and can replicate data between DD units.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, January 21, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Not sure if you've already gone this route but I thought I'd post my experience.  We had used a DD510 with VTL and did not have a great experience.  The biggest problem was datadomain and microsoft took over 8 months to get us a good driver for the virtual tape library on server 2008.  What a huge pain.  After we finally got some good drivers and got it working it was pretty good for a while.  However the datadomain box seemed to have problems every couple weeks where it would not allow DPM to perform jobs successfully.  We ended up having to log into the DD and restart several VTL services just to get it working again.  Then things would go ok again for about a week or two.  I also thought the webgui for the virtual tapes was kind of missing something.

It might be cheaper to try the firestreamer route and point it at your DD box.  We tested firesteamer a bit but never went that route. I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper and you can write virtual tapes to any device you want rather just a datadomain.  You might look into that.

Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:45 PM