Revision Tracking: Rejecting the Change does not revert to original formatting if the change included applying a Character Style RRS feed

• Question

• If I change the formatting in my document with revision tracking turned on, eg change text in italics to a character style of "emphasis", then rejecting the change does not revert the original Formatting but reverts to totally unformatted text.

On the other side, if I change the text in italics to bold with revision tracking turned on, then rejecting the change reverts to the original italic text.

So it must have to do with the applying of styles.

Sunday, February 18, 2018 5:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tested this problem in different version of Office, Office 2010, 2013 and 2016. I get the same result as yours, I can reproduce this problem.

In my opinion, the reason is that: in Word Emphasis is to Italic, for format a text to Italic is based on the unItalic format. When you format Italic to Emphasis, Word think you format unItalic text to Italic. So when you reject the change word thinks you want to back to unItalic text.

You can try this method, format text Bold and Italic first then turn on Track Changes and change text to Emphasis, then Reject the change. The text will back to Bold but unItalic format:

Hope my explain is clearly, any updates please let me know and I'm glad to help you.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, February 19, 2018 7:30 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 22, 2018 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

Do this problem resolve now?

Any updates about your problem?

Regards,

Emi

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:16 AM
  • I suspect that the problem is that when you apply a character style, direct formatting will be removed, and formatting reverts to that of the underlying paragraph style—except for the properties defined by the character style, of course.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:29 AM
  • Hi ajan,

Please check if our information will help you.

I'm glad to follow up your reply.

Regards,

Emi

Friday, March 2, 2018 9:48 AM