Windows 10 Enterprise and build updates (or upgrades) RRS feed

• Question

• I am a bit unclear on the build update process for Windows 10 Enterprise going from the release build 10240 to the November update build 1511.

Here are my questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

1.  It is my understanding that 4 months after release of the cumulative updates which updated consumer builds to 1511, the same would be required if you were running an earlier build of Win10 Enterprise (or Pro).  I know you can defer the updates with GP or use SCCM to defer them for up to a year.  My question is, if you do nothing – will the cumulative updated auto install after 4 months or will you stop getting updates until you install them?

2.  We are deploying 10240 via SCCM, for the users who have this build would we need to do a “full upgrade” to get them on 1511 – as in the full upgrade user experience or is it just releasing the 2 cumulative updates?

I know WU for Business gives us more control, but that of course requires the client to be at build 1511.  I feel like these are silly questions, but I just want to confirm.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is no official information about this, but I can confirm that pointing at your WSUS will not work with this update currently because even Windows 10 KB3105211 update shows in the console but don’t try to deploy it through your Software Update process, seems like it fails and cannot be applicatbale at present stage. And KB3105211 should be substituted by KB3118754 and it also shows in console.

If you have concern about this, the solution was a two-pronged approach:

1. Set Defer Upgrades to enable.

2. Connect computers to WSUS.

Either one should have done the trick. Microsoft should have official notify when it is available with SCCM.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:12 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no official information about this, but I can confirm that pointing at your WSUS will not work with this update currently because even Windows 10 KB3105211 update shows in the console but don’t try to deploy it through your Software Update process, seems like it fails and cannot be applicatbale at present stage. And KB3105211 should be substituted by KB3118754 and it also shows in console.

If you have concern about this, the solution was a two-pronged approach:

1. Set Defer Upgrades to enable.

2. Connect computers to WSUS.

Either one should have done the trick. Microsoft should have official notify when it is available with SCCM.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Now that the ISO is available (via MSDN for me), how do I upgrade to 1511 (build 10586)? double-clicking on the setup looks a bit scary as it starts by telling you that you won't be able to go back to windows 8. While I don't care about Windows 8 at this point, I just wanted to find out the official way.

Thanks,

Eric.

Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:27 PM
  • Wondering this too, have you ever solved it?
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:25 PM