How to Get Windows Updates With No Network Connection RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Windows XP Pro 64-bit SP2 computer that for security reasons has had its wireless and NIC connectors completely disabled.  We would still like to install the latest Windows XP updates, however.

Is there a way to get just the pertinent updates for this particular system, burn them to a CD and update it that way?  And if so, how would I do this from another computer running a different OS?  Win7 32 bit for example?

Thanks.

• Edited by -Rob Monday, January 10, 2011 4:33 PM no SP3
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:26 PM

All replies

• It can be done.  First, you need to find the KB number for the updates you want to install, then search the Microsoft Knowledge Base site and download the standalone installers for the patches.  You can do this using any OS, even Linux.

However, some might not install without SP3, as that may be a prerequisite.

Monday, January 10, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Thank you for the reply, Bob.

SP2 is the latest Service Pack for XP64, and as nearly as I can tell, the last.

Re: "First, you need to find the KB number for the updates you want to install ..."  Hm ... I guess I was looking for a way by which I could get all the needed updates for a particular system WITHOUT having to search for them by update number.

For example, if we could enter a date and/or update number for the most recently-installed update, along with the OS, can the Microsoft Web site then give us a list of which updates are available to install?

Further, if we were to do this on, say, a monthly basis, could we download and burn all the updates to a CD that would pertain to Win XP64?

—Rob
    Monday, January 10, 2011 6:22 PM
  • Oops, I missed the x64 part.

Nope, you'd need to do it by KB#, but I think that Microsoft lists all the KB#'s of their patches and what day they were released - somewhere .  

The only other way I can think of is by setting up your own WSUS server.  This would require that the XP machine have network access, but not internet.  The machine with WSUS installed would be the only one that actually needs internet.  Technically, WSUS requires a domain to work (although it can be installed on anything from XP and up), but there's a registry setting that can be tweaked to point a non-domain joined machine to a WSUS server for updates.

Monday, January 10, 2011 6:39 PM