Setting up a Remote Fileshare RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

So I just got a Dell Poweredge 2850 and am trying to figure out how to make my own private filesharing server. Do I need to create a VPN or what? I have a couple of goal for the server long term: Personal filesharing, Mincraft/game private server. Filesharing for a couple of groups I am a part of that need a secure place to put some files (Not Google Drive or FB). Is there a guide I can follow?

Thanks in advance

Daniel A. Nelson

Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:28 AM

Answers

• Hi Daniel

You don't mention an Operating System.

If you haven't bought one then I would get windows Server 2012 r2 essentials (if you already have server 2012 or r2 you can install he essentials role)

This has a bunch of easy to set up wizards that help you and talk you through how to set up remote web access to your fileshares.

The following images show the interface once installed.

All you need is internet access through a router and a copy of essentials (which allows up to 25 users), it integrates with Office 365 and Azure Backup and will also automatically create image backups of clients on the network.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/

By entering the server address at a remote site i.e. remote.edbaker.com essentials provideds this secure login interface

having logged in you are faced with the choice of accessing machines, files office 365 or help links

by choosing a file shared folder you see the contents and can upload or download files at will

Alternatively you can use ftp in essentials or you can set up a vpn and access the file share through file explorer.

The benefit is that essentials is much cheaper than standard server and if you already have a server standard /datacenter then it is a free role you can install through server manager.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if you found it helpful

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel

You don't mention an Operating System.

If you haven't bought one then I would get windows Server 2012 r2 essentials (if you already have server 2012 or r2 you can install he essentials role)

This has a bunch of easy to set up wizards that help you and talk you through how to set up remote web access to your fileshares.

The following images show the interface once installed.

All you need is internet access through a router and a copy of essentials (which allows up to 25 users), it integrates with Office 365 and Azure Backup and will also automatically create image backups of clients on the network.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/

By entering the server address at a remote site i.e. remote.edbaker.com essentials provideds this secure login interface

having logged in you are faced with the choice of accessing machines, files office 365 or help links

by choosing a file shared folder you see the contents and can upload or download files at will

Alternatively you can use ftp in essentials or you can set up a vpn and access the file share through file explorer.

The benefit is that essentials is much cheaper than standard server and if you already have a server standard /datacenter then it is a free role you can install through server manager.

Yours

Ed

Please mark this as an answer if you found it helpful

Thursday, March 10, 2016 8:39 AM
  • I have Windows 2012 and am upgrading to 2012 r2. I have the standard edition. What is the difference between the versions of software?

Daniel A. Nelson

Thursday, March 10, 2016 2:01 PM
  • So you have access to essentials in both version.

Just add the role from server manager as shown below.

R2 adds a few more features but none that dramatically affect what you want to do.

If you have R2 its well worth using it instead though.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Ok. Maybe to clear things up. I am a student so I am using Microsoft Dreamspark. When I went to download the server OS it gave 3 options: standard, essentials, and data center. I downloaded the standard edition. So maybe a better question is should I download the essentials version or 2012 r2? Or does the Standard edition include all the essentials stuff? I can't find decent documentation on the difference in the editons

Daniel A. Nelson

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:45 PM
  • stick with what you have,

just follow the steps in my previous post - OR download essentials and run it from scratch and it will install.

The limitation of the Essentials SKU is that it has limited users and features.

Standard is better with the essentials experience added on.

Please mark as answer rif useful

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:50 PM