none
Verify TechNet Wiki Issues RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Wiki Community Council is in the process of cleaning up the article "Wiki: Known Issues":

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx

It is believed that some of the issues are resolved. We need your help to verify this, so they can be moved to the "Fixed Issues" section. The remaining issues will be escalated, so this is a worthwhile activity.

Please reply to this post if you have recently experienced any of the following issues, say in the last two months (April and May). Refer to the issues by heading and number. You can refer to the article linked above for more details. If you have experienced any of these issues, it will help if you can link the article(s) and/or describe how we can duplicate the problem.

Browsers

5. IE9 does not display Avatars correctly when viewing previous Revisions. This was reported August 11, 2011, in this forum thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnwiki/thread/9a559ae8-df20-4d91-bfc0-70a217be1416

Wiki Editor

1. Indentation bug. In bullet items, ordered lists, or unordered lists sometimes entire sections will be automatically indented to the right. Due to unbalanced <ul>, <li>, or <ol> tags in HTML.

2. "Go nowhere" (broken) links appear when using anchors. Adding an anchor tag to a sub-header (or any text) turns it into a link that goes nowhere.
        HTML example:
        <h2><a name="Title_1">Title 1</a></h2>
        Fixed HTML:
        <h2><a name="Title_1"></a>Title 1</h2>
        Workaround: Don't add anchors, instead use regular headings and let the TOC feature create the needed anchor tags for you.

3. Bullet icons turn blue. Adding a hyperlink to a full line in a bullet, including the space after the text, can ruin the bullet and spacing. Specifically, it turns the bullet icon blue.
        Workaround: Do not highlight/select the entire line.

5. The Editor changes your font. Usually happens when pasting from a word processor (such as Word).

6. The Editor removes horizontal line rules. They appear in the Editor, but not in the published article. This may be related to IE9.

7. The Editor creates unwanted "Span" elements in the HTML. This happens when you paste content from a word processor. Results in random fonts and font styles, such as italics.

9. Rule lines sometimes do not appear in the Editor. They show in the article, but not in the Editor, or they are changed to white. Causes confusion.

10. Style tags sometimes removed by the Editor. Seems to happen when a class is called in the style tag. The content in the tag gets published in the article. For example:
        <style>.ClassName { margin- }</style>
        <p class="foo">This is a paragraph.</p>
    This results in the style tag in the published article:
        .ClassName { margin- }
        This is a paragraph

11. The article does not save. Sometimes when you click "Save" the article does not seem to save, but waits indefinitely. When you click "Save" again, you get an error message, stating that someone has saved a more recent version.

Links

1. TechNet Forum links show up as internal to TechNet Wiki. Links to TechNet Forum threads are missing the external link icon and behave like internal Wiki links (they open in the same window).

Tags

3. When an article is deleted, it is not deleted from tag results.

Comments

1. History comments migrate onto the article page comments. When you edit an article and click "Save" sometimes there is a long wait and then you get an error message "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!". When this happens, your modification to the article gets published, but your comment appears on the article page instead of on the History tab.

Localized Content

1. ? symbols display in several languages. ? displays in Japanese, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, Korean, Thai, and Russian localized articles. 1252 code page languages are not affected.

Thank you very much for your participation in this effort.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, May 24, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• I realize now that I have experienced #1 under Comments several times recently. I also have seen where it has happened to others. I will provide links when I can find them.

My comment dated April 15, 2103, in this article was actually a comment for Revision 4:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16870.wiki-fix-color-issues-in-wiki-articles.aspx

And here is a case where it happened on April 25, 2013, to Philippe Vialle. His comment for Revision 56 appears on the article.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12432.general-security-advice-and-best-practices.aspx

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I did tag searches on "candidate+for+deletion" and also "spam", "Known+Issues", and a few others. I also used the tag cloud. I found no articles in the search results that have been deleted. Therefore I am satisfied that issue # 3 under Tags is resolved.

Friday, May 24, 2013 10:05 PM
  • I realize now that I have experienced #1 under Comments several times recently. I also have seen where it has happened to others. I will provide links when I can find them.

My comment dated April 15, 2103, in this article was actually a comment for Revision 4:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16870.wiki-fix-color-issues-in-wiki-articles.aspx

And here is a case where it happened on April 25, 2013, to Philippe Vialle. His comment for Revision 56 appears on the article.

I verify that I still see #1 under Comments a lot.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, May 26, 2013 12:47 AM
    Owner
  • Browsers

5. IE9 does not display Avatars correctly...

[Ed] I haven't seen this recently. I think it's fixed.

Wiki Editor

1. Indentation bug. In bullet items, ordered lists, or unordered lists sometimes entire sections will be automatically indented to the right. Due to unbalanced <ul>, <li>, or <ol> tags in HTML.

[Ed] I've seen a version of this recently. I click the bullet or indent button and larger quantities get indented than I expect. Note that this isn't on my spreadsheet I review with the product team but it should be. The Wiki makes bullets and indentions fairly annoying right now. The Forums and Blogs handle them much better than Wiki. Example...

• test

2. "Go nowhere" (broken) links appear when using anchors. Adding an anchor tag to a sub-header (or any text) turns it into a link that goes nowhere.

[Ed] I still see this, but not when creating new anchors. Only when the anchor gets migrated from a pasted article. Then random headers with anchors are blue links that go nowhere. Should mine be a new bug?

3. Bullet icons turn blue. Adding a hyperlink to a full line in a bullet, including the space after the text, can ruin the bullet and spacing. Specifically, it turns the bullet icon blue.

[Ed] Haven't seen it recently. I think it's fixed.

5. The Editor changes your font. Usually happens when pasting from a word processor (such as Word).

[Ed] I haven't seen this recently, but I haven't tried pasting from Word (or another source). Could someone test this before we report that it's fixed? Thanks! 

6. The Editor removes horizontal line rules. They appear in the Editor, but not in the published article. This may be related to IE9.

7. The Editor creates unwanted "Span" elements in the HTML. This happens when you paste content from a word processor. Results in random fonts and font styles, such as italics.

[Ed] This can be verified alongside #5. 

9. Rule lines sometimes do not appear in the Editor. They show in the article, but not in the Editor, or they are changed to white. Causes confusion.

[Ed] People mostly stopped using them because they were a hassle. But I haven't seen this recently. 

10. Style tags sometimes removed by the Editor. Seems to happen when a class is called in the style tag. The content in the tag gets published in the article.

11. The article does not save. Sometimes when you click "Save" the article does not seem to save, but waits indefinitely. When you click "Save" again, you get an error message, stating that someone has saved a more recent version.

[Ed] I saw this last week. But only when creating a new article, and it results in a 404 screen, even though the article was successfully created. So perhaps mine is a different bug? 

Links

1. TechNet Forum links show up as internal to TechNet Wiki. Links to TechNet Forum threads are missing the external link icon and behave like internal Wiki links (they open in the same window).

[Ed] I'm pretty sure this still exists. Can we verify?

Tags

3. When an article is deleted, it is not deleted from tag results.

Comments

1. History comments migrate onto the article page comments. When you edit an article and click "Save" sometimes there is a long wait and then you get an error message "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!". When this happens, your modification to the article gets published, but your comment appears on the article page instead of on the History tab.

[Ed] I saw this recently. It's not fixed.

Localized Content

1. ? symbols display in several languages. ? displays in Japanese, Chinese Traditional, Chinese Simplified, Korean, Thai, and Russian localized articles. 1252 code page languages are not affected.

[Ed] We need to dig deep on this. We should ask Yottun (Japanese) and Patris (Farsi/Arabic), who are specializing in symbol-based languages. 

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Sunday, May 26, 2013 1:06 AM
    Owner
  • This Wiki of Known Issues has been updated with the latest available information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2368.wiki-known-issues.aspx

If any issue has been mistakenly moved into the "Fixed" section, you can move it back, or report here. Provide details about the issue, and a link to an example if possible. When we escalate the issue to the programmers, they will need to be able to duplicate the problem.

Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:33 AM
  • Some more details about LC1 bug.

It depends on the authorization on the site:

Without authorization

Now login

In other cases it may be inversely: <?> symbols appear without authorization.

Friday, August 9, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Символы вопроса - вероятно, какие-то фантомы.

Их появление зависит от того, что Вы делали перед этим.

Если их не видно без входа на сайт, то не видно и в онлайн-редакторе.

Если Вы нажмёте "редактировать", а потом "отменить"  - они могут появиться, хотя содержание статьи не менялось. Метро браузер IE  и десктопный IE могут видеть их в разных местах в одно и то же время в одинаковых условиях.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:25 AM