none
DPM 2012 - Deleting Old Recovery Points from Disk Backups RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There,

I am using DPM 2012.

I got Disk Based Backups configured for AD, Exchange 2010, SQL 2008 systems i have assigned around 8 TB of disk space to DPM server.

This is my Short Term Policy -  6 days | 24 hour(s) synchronization

I hardly have 4 TB of data but DPM is taking up the whole space on the Disk for backups probably it is not deleting the old recovery points.

I can see there are 30 Recovery Points for each backup object.

Please suggest how to reduce the number of recovery points DPM stores? 

What is the recommended no. of recovery points to store?

How to delete the older recovery points to free up disk space for newer backups?

Regards,

Maqsood 

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:00 AM

Answers

• To reduce the number of recovery points that DPM stores you will need to modify your protection groups and specify a smaller retention range.

The recommended number of recovery points is not something we can tell you. It is entirely decided by your organizational/IT policies.

Older recovery points will get automatically deleted by DPM's nightly job. You need not worry about doing it manually.

Note however, that reducing the retention range is not going to free up any space that has already been occupied. It only means that you will probably have less chance of requiring further growth. If you do want to create more space on the DPM storage pool you have an option to shrink recovery point volumes in the DPM UI.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• To reduce the number of recovery points that DPM stores you will need to modify your protection groups and specify a smaller retention range.

The recommended number of recovery points is not something we can tell you. It is entirely decided by your organizational/IT policies.

Older recovery points will get automatically deleted by DPM's nightly job. You need not worry about doing it manually.

Note however, that reducing the retention range is not going to free up any space that has already been occupied. It only means that you will probably have less chance of requiring further growth. If you do want to create more space on the DPM storage pool you have an option to shrink recovery point volumes in the DPM UI.

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:47 AM
  • So you mean if i reduce the retention period it will reduce the number of recovery points.

And when i have 6 days retention set for the short term backup it should only hold the last 6 recovery points isn't it.

I did shrink on all the protection groups.

What happens if i uncheck automatic grow the volumes?

Thanks & Regards,

Maqsood

Maqsood Mohammed Senior Systems Engineer MCITP-Enterprise Admin & ITILv3 Foundation Certified

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:03 AM
  • Script for DPM 2012 R2
    http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DPM-2012-R2-Remove-6167f338

Have a nice day !!!

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:13 PM
  • Hi Maqsood

Was this ever resolved?

Kind Regards

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:37 AM
  • Hi Maqsood

Was this ever resolved?

Kind Regards

For DPM 2012 R2 UR7 you must reinstall hotfix!

And run pruneshadowcopiesDpm2010.ps1 once manualy. Older recovery points will get automatically deleted by DPM's nightly job.

DPM 2012 R2 UR7 re-released

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:52 AM
  • No it was not resolved.

Saturday, October 10, 2015 5:29 PM