Exchange 2007 - Distribution group not work correctly RRS feed

• Question

• I have simple server Windows 2008 Standart SP2 with Exchange 2007 with apply SP1 (installed rollup 10). Only one DC and one Exchange server (not exist Edge) in the same server.

I have first distribution group by name "company@domain.com" with 10 users. Working with internal and external mail correctly.

I have second distribution group by name "shop@domain.com" with 3 users. Working with internal mail correctly, but external mail delivery failed 2 from 3 users. Only 1 users proclaims that external mail delivered correctly. Those 3 users they are too member of  distribution group company@domain.com" .

I am not found in the eventlog any problem with Exchange server. Any user and any distribution group not check the box "Require that all senders are authenticated."

Any ideas on how to solve the problem?

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• What happens when you send a message to that group?  If you get an NDR, please post it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

• Edited by Ed CrowleyMVP Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:05 PM Addition
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:05 PM
  • Sorry, but no NDR message is not bounced back. Can only say, that someone was something of delivery and someone not.

It is possible to easily analyze this problem?
    (mail flow troubleshooter - not found any problem; message tracking - not found any external email in affected users mailbox)

Thank you all for your help
    • Edited by AlexB112233 Thursday, December 6, 2012 8:53 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi,Alex,

Let's calrify your question:

You have two Distribution Group company@domain.com  with 10 members and shop@domain.com  with 3 members who are also members in company@domain.com,when email regardless it's from internal user or external users is sent to DL Company@domain.com all members can receive ,but when external email is sent to DL shop@domain.com only one can receive email successfully.And there are no NDR send back to the sender,right?

Have you enabled NDR on your Exchange mailserver?You can check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998621(EXCHG.80).aspx for more details.

Here are some other suggestion:

1)Verify that if they are using outlook in cache mode if they are newly add to the distribution list.

2)Do a search for the email to see if the emails are it's going to a different folder. You can start outlook by going to start, run and then typing outlook.exe /cleanrules,ts will delete any and all rules thus ruling out if it is a rule that is causing this.Or you can use MFCMapi

3)Log these users in OWA to see if the emails shows up

4)Check if there are some special anti-virus or third party plug in cause it,try to start Outlook in safe mode or log in another computer to see if it works.

Regards,

Sharon 

Sharon Shen
    TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Friday, December 7, 2012 7:38 AM
  • Hi Sharon,

i am have enabled delivered NDR report in hub transport (voice service i do not use in my Exchange). If you request a return receipt in Outlook, then will deliver the answer:

"Your message has been successfully relayed to the following recipients, but the requested delivery status notifications may not be generated by the destination. shop@domain.com"

I recently tried create new user with name user1@damoin.com and adding member of distribution group with name shop@domain.com. I sent external mail to shop@domain.com and i discovered through "Outlook Web Acces" that delivery external email to  the mailbox of user1@domain.com failed (email has not been found in any folders and antivrus not used). Thick mail client MS Outlok he has never been used for this user. I am verified by use with another user acount through MS Outlook, you see that user1@domain.com is member of distribution group with name shop@domain.com. Then i am adding new user user1@domain.com to distribution group with name company@domain.com and i sending testing external e-mail, everything was alright (successfully relayed all members of distribution group company@domain.com). Delete and re-create the distribution group with name shop@domain.com had no effect on the functioning of.

I recently tried create new distribution group with name test@domain.com and  adding to member same users as have distribution group with name shop@domain.com, then i sending testing external e-mail to test@domain.com, everything was alright (successfully relayed all members of distribution group test@domain.com).

Thank you for reply

best regards Alex

• Edited by AlexB112233 Friday, December 7, 2012 9:53 AM
    Friday, December 7, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi all,

I tried now delete distribution group with name shop@domain.com and next step functional distribution group with name test@domain.com rename shop@domain.com.  This action had no be effect on the functioning of. Only one from many users external mail  has been delivered successfully. :(

Thank you for reply
     best regards Alex

Friday, December 7, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Hi,Alex,

Have you checked the rule setting for the non-worked users?

Bases on your last post,I still consider it should be something wrong with the rule configuration for shop@domain.com.Also have you checked these two users OWA and search on their outlook to see if the email exists.

Regards,

Sharon

Sharon Shen
    TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Monday, December 10, 2012 9:56 AM
  • The external users might have spam filters that prevent them from receiving this e-mail.

Are the same users in the group with 10 users or are the different ones?

stefan@xperta

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Hi all,

1.) same 3 users from shop@domain.com they are as members in company@domain.com (company@domain.com don't any problem with operate).
    Problem exist for any external emails sent to shop@domain.com (there is no exception).

2.) I am checked antispam rusles in Outlook for each member and not found any problems in antispam rules (I also used the command type outlook.exe /cleanrules) .

Thank for reply

best regards Alex

AlexB112233

Monday, December 10, 2012 11:11 AM