CRM 2016 Outlook addin causing address book issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We host an on-prem Dynamics CRM 2016 site for our client. They've recently installed the CRM 2016 addin for Outlook and whenever the addin is enabled, it breaks the address book functionality in Outlook:

• Recreating the outlook profile fixes this temporarily (reoccurs after restarting outlook)
    • Safe mode/Disabling the CRM addin also fix this
    • Same issue regardless if Outlook is set to cache mode or non cache mode
    • Can replicate the same issue if the CRM addin is connected to an entirely different CRM site in a different farm
    • Issue replicable on multiple machines in a separate environment. As long as they use the same Office 2016 MSI version, can replicate issue
    • Outlook is 2016 MSI (16.0.4266.1001). Fully patched via Windows Updates.

If we install Office 365 1808 (Build 10730.20264 Click-to-Run), issue goes away. If we install Office 2016 MSI, issue comes back. So this is consistent.

I can't find any KB articles on this. Not sure why this is only an issue for Office 2016 MSI.

• Moved by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Shadowz1337,

I’m doing some research and reply you later~

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:25 AM
  • Hi Shadowz1337,

What’s your account type? Exchange, POP or IMAP?

According to my research, the CRM for Outlook client does not support Outlook configured in Online for tracking or synchronization. If you have online mode enabled, please switch to cached Exchange mode to test the result.

I haven’t found related official articles regarding this issue for MSI version of Office. I installed CRM 2016 on my side (Outlook 2016 MSI (16.0.4738.1000)) to test this issue and can open Address Book successfully.

Does it only happen to Outlook 2016 MSI version (16.0.4266.1001)? We can try upgrade Office to the newest version to see if issue continues. Please refer to the details in this link.

Any updates, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks for your reply!

- Account type is Exchange.

- Have tried using cached and non-cached mode previously, unfortunately didn't make any difference.

- Only happens to Outlook 2016 MSI version (16.0.4266.1001). It's actually quite odd, because I see 16.0.4266.1001 under appwiz.cpl, but under Outlook -> Office Account -> About Outlook, I see (Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO 16.0.4738.1000 32-bit). I did try to update via WSUS and Windows Updates and it didn't find any newer updates to download/install. I will manually download and install the KB from your link provided and report back.

Update:

Looks like the manual updates don't need to be installed, as they have already been installed by Windows Update.

Same issue though.

In your testings, did you configure the CRM addin to point to a CRM site? The issue only occurs when you're signed into the CRM addin, then when you load the address book and select Contacts (or any address list) in your Exchange account, that's when you get that error message popup. However, the odd thing is, you can load the address list in your CRM account just fine, just not the address list in your Exchange account.

Please find the image below, notice the highlighted "Contacts" is the local address list under my Exchange account. Any local address list will not be accessible when the CRM addin is enabled in Outlook. However, if you disable CRM addin, the local address list will work. Also, while the CRM addin is enabled, you can load address lists under "Other Address Books" just fine.

• Edited by Shadowz1337 Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:04 AM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:33 AM
  • Hi Shadowz1337,

Sorry that I cannot help testing further as I don’t have a site to connect CRM.

Do you have other third-party add-ins installed? We can uncheck other add-ins to check the results.

Besides, do you have any anti-virus software running on this computer? We can also temporarily close them to see if it helps.

As here we mainly focus on issues regarding Outlook client, I’ll only troubleshoot this issue on Outlook client side. You can also consult in Microsoft Dynamics CRM Forum to see if anyone else has encountered same issue.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, January 25, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Hi Perry,

No other addons installed, antivirus disabled too.

Sunday, January 27, 2019 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

Same with you. I haven't found any official articles about whether this is only an issue for MSI version of Office 2016. Personally, I'd like to recommend you to reinstall Office using easy fix tool in this article.

From the description, this issue happens to multiple users. Please also post this thread to CRM forum to see if they have any good ideas,

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:46 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:46 AM
  • Thanks, I'll do that. Much appreciated for your help and suggestions.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2019 8:25 PM
  • You are welcome~

Thursday, January 31, 2019 4:40 AM