WSUS 2012 r2 computers not updating to correct computer group RRS feed

• Question

• In order to roll out windows 10 upgrades in small groups, I created new OU's in active directory and group by group I would approve the upgrade for each group. However, even after creating the new computer groups in the WSUS console, the computers are not moving from the original group. I have the setting right for client side and I have even gone to individual computers and ran gpupdate /force as well as wuauclt /resetauthorization wuauclt /detectnow wuauclt /updatenow but nothing. Not even after a reboot. I know it can take a while, I've even seen it take days, but nothing is changing this time at all. Where can I look to see what the issue is? RSOP shows everything is okay. Active Directory shows computers in the OU's I created. I'm not seeing any errors in event viewers either.

Roger Stumbaugh

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 8:05 PM

Answers

• After wasting way too much time trying to get the issue straightened out, in the end it was easier just to blow away the operating system and rebuild WSUS from scratch. Next time I won't bother trying to fix any problems with WSUS, it's much quicker to rebuild the server from the operating system up. 

Roger Stumbaugh

• Marked as answer by Spiv Wackers Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Spiv Wackers,

I tested in Windows Server 2012 R2, it works well.

In WSUS server, please check Options > Computers, verify if you have checked "Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers"

On clients, please check if you have applied the GPO successfully, you may run gpresult /h C:\report.html to check the result.

Also, check the group name are exactly same that configure in GPO and in WSUS group.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:36 AM
  • After wasting way too much time trying to get the issue straightened out, in the end it was easier just to blow away the operating system and rebuild WSUS from scratch. Next time I won't bother trying to fix any problems with WSUS, it's much quicker to rebuild the server from the operating system up. 

Roger Stumbaugh

• Marked as answer by Spiv Wackers Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 12:20 PM