WSUS Patching for Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I know WSUS cannot patch Office C2R apps. However, I have several machines that are receiving Office 2013 updates from WSUS and I can't figure out why since they appear to have had Office 2013 C2R installed. I am basing this on the article below where it clearly shows how to determine whether or not your Office product was installed via C2R or via MSI. Our machines are imaged using SCCM, the image already has the Office product installed on it. The users just activate it when they launch Office for the first time.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_integration__sharepoint/2016/06/23/determining-your-office-version-msi-vs-c2r/

How is this possible. It is very confusing to make sense of this.

Thursday, November 8, 2018 6:50 PM

Answers

• It turns out that many of these machines have things like Visio, Project, SharePoint components, etc. installed. When you do this it installs non-C2R Office components (DLL's?), so WSUS advertises Office patches. I tested this theory by removing Office C2R and any non-C2R Office product. WSUS showed no Office updates. I then installed Office C2R, WSUS still showed no updates......which is how it should be. I then installed Visio (non-C2R) and all of a sudden WSUS said my machine need over 100 Office updates. I removed Visio (without installing the advertised  updates) and WSUS said I had no updates.

Mystery solved.

• Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:27 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes, office 2013 C2R version do not get updates from WSUS. We could verify it by reviewing the update history of office 2013, you could not find updates listed in the Microsoft Update History

So it is weird your Office C2R version could get updates from WSUS. We need to know following information to move on.

1> Make sure the office APP is based on C2R instead of MSI. Maybe you could upload some screenshots about it.

2> What updates do your office clients get? Can you be sure they are from WSUS? Are they installed correctly?

3> Is it possible there are other versions of office components on your client?

4> Are you using WSUS alone? Or it is integrated with SCCM to manage updates?

However, if your Office is C2R version, the updates should be applied to other version of Office.

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 9, 2018 1:59 AM
  • Hello Ray. Thank you for the response.

1) My answer was based on the information in the URL I included in the post. The screen shots for C2R shown in the URL article match those of my clients.

2) We apply critical and security patches in WSUS, they only come from WSUS. We patch on specific dates and those dates match what is on the client machines. I can only assume they are installed correctly as the products work.

3) This is possible, I will investigate. However, the updates that are being installed are the usual ones that you would expect for an MSI install.

4) WSUS alone. However, we have an SCCM environment that we will start using to patch Office C2R since that is the flavor install we are moving to as we upgrade to Office 2016.

Friday, November 9, 2018 2:57 PM
  • It turns out that many of these machines have things like Visio, Project, SharePoint components, etc. installed. When you do this it installs non-C2R Office components (DLL's?), so WSUS advertises Office patches. I tested this theory by removing Office C2R and any non-C2R Office product. WSUS showed no Office updates. I then installed Office C2R, WSUS still showed no updates......which is how it should be. I then installed Visio (non-C2R) and all of a sudden WSUS said my machine need over 100 Office updates. I removed Visio (without installing the advertised  updates) and WSUS said I had no updates.

Mystery solved.

• Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:27 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:27 PM