none
Installing DPM 2012 SP1 onto Server 2012 R2 (Compatible / Supported)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can DPM 2012 SP1 be installed onto Server 2012 R2? i.e. is it compatible and also is it supported by Microsoft?
    If so are there any official documents or links provided by Microsoft for this installation scenario?

I would have installed DPM 2012 R2 onto Server 2012 R2 but this is not possible due to DPM 2012 R2 not supporting Server 2008 protected servers!

Thanks,

Microsoft Partner

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 12:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM 2012 SP1 is not supported running on Windows server 2012 R2.

System requirements for System Center 2012 SP1 - DPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj651645.aspx

Can you tell me how many Windows 2008 servers you need to protect and what is preventing you from upgrading them to Windows 2008 R2 ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 8:36 PM
  • We have about 10 2008 servers that need protecting. The application versions running on Windows 2008 are not supported by the vendor on 2008 R2. That will be another whole project to upgrade those apps. 

I have decided to use DPM 2012 SP1. R2 will have to wait.

Microsoft Partner

Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:56 PM
  • As far as I can see backup of Windows Server 2008 (non R2) is not supported by DPM 2012 R2.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860400.aspx

Thomas Forsmark Soerensen

Thursday, January 9, 2014 1:10 PM
  • Hi,

Understand.  You could think about virtualizing the Windows 2008 servers and host them on a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-v server and then upgrade to DPM 2012 R2 and protect them at the host level.  You can perform file item level recovery using DPM if you just needed a few files restored from inside the VM, otherwise you can restore the whole VM.

Just a thought..

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Thanks, I had already thought about that but these apps need pre/post backup scripts to ensure a consistent backup and as far as I'm aware that is not possible using host level backups and only possible when the agent is installed inside the VM. Unless this has changed in the latest versions? Appreciate your thoughts.

Microsoft Partner

Friday, January 10, 2014 9:45 AM
  • Hi,

Right, so I guess you are stuck.

Friday, January 10, 2014 5:56 PM