none
Can't run CMD elevated... in order to find other problems RRS feed

• Question

• In short: I can't run CMD in elevated mode

Slightly longer - but I think it matters: Trying to run the command "chkdsk /f /r" in order to find what's wrong and (hopefully) fix it. Apps (word, excel) are locking up; exe files won't run; can't get AVG to run in order to find problems.

What I've done:

• Have right-clicked on CMD to open it in elevated mode but it won't open; eventually it times out.
    • Went into files and found windows\system32\cmd.exe, right clicked on it, but same thing: it times out (saying that it didn't start in a timely fashion.)

HELP!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Monday, August 31, 2015 1:46 PM

Answers

• Have you tried booting into safe mode before attempting to open CMD? I'd also run sfc/ scannow alongside the chkdsk function.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, this can be caused by system components corrupt, you can fix it by following method for test.

Open Powershell with admin, then type sfc /scannow, press enter.

If no use, using Command below instead.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:36 AM

All replies

• Have you tried booting into safe mode before attempting to open CMD? I'd also run sfc/ scannow alongside the chkdsk function.
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, this can be caused by system components corrupt, you can fix it by following method for test.

Open Powershell with admin, then type sfc /scannow, press enter.

If no use, using Command below instead.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 4, 2015 6:36 AM