Do Windows Server 2003 r2 x64 DC can work with Server 08 R2 or 12 x64 DC together? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I had two HP ML 350 G5 this running the Server 03 R2 x64 SP2,

This both 2 server are running 3 thing in it.

1. AD DS + DNS (Yes I do AD + DNS integration, so auto copy on both DC)
    2. DFS Name + Replication (Yes, both server running this)
    3. MS SQL Server 2005 with SP2 (Only one of the server running this, I know install many service on a DC is bad idea, but Small Company no more money)

Now one of the G5 Server stop working before, thank to my double server design, so one die, the DFS not stop, and after repair it, I am review my design again, thinking adding the third addition on this is better than only two server.

But the problems there!

HP latest Gen8 DL380p haven't the Server 03 R2 x64 driver, mean my only choose after buy the new server is install a Server 08 R2 or 12 on it!!! BUT, I don't WANT TO all DC upgrade to Server 08 R2. Since G5 is old, HDD C: is near full, and $$$ money etc.

So before buy the new server, I need some I.T. Pro help me here. Do Server 03 R2 x64 AD DC + DFS can work together with Server 08 R2 or 12 x64 AD DS DC + DFS? If yes, how to? Any thing I need take care on the server 03 side or setting need do on it etc?

ALL Domain & Forest function level is Windows Server 2003

Root Domain: abc.com
    Server 01
    DC (Five FSMO on this and GC) +DNS+DFS-N+DFS-R+MS SQL 2005 - Server 2003 R2 x64 (Physical)
    Server 02
    DC+GC+DNS+DFS-N+DFS-R - Server 2003 R2 x64 (Physical)

Thank you very much of your time and help.

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:13 AM

Answers

• set DNS on new 2008R2 DC in the follwing order in TCP/IP advance settings. 192.168.18.153
    192.168.18.151 or 152 (whichever is more reliable /stable)

also on other DCs add 192.168.18.153 as the second DNS server.

you can set  google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8] as forwarder in DNS server settings, there is a forwarder tab.
    8.8.8.8 is a public/internet dns server so you don't need that internally, only when browsing internet.
    Friday, May 24, 2013 3:59 AM
  • Hi,

In you case first of all make sure you have current system state backup.
    run DCDIAG and NETDIAG on your 2003 DCs and resolve any critical errors prior to any DS upgrades. 

On "SERVER 01" (FSMO Roles holder)
    as a first step towards mix 2003 and 2008R2 DC environment you have to upgrade AD schema  from 2003 to 2008R2 version (47),
    by running ADPREP from 2008R2 install DVDunder \support\adprep folder.
    Commands are   adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep and adprep /rodcprep   (you will need adprep32 for 32bit 2003 OS.)
    for full details please read the MS Article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728%28WS.10%29.aspx

Once adprep has successfully been run, you can prepare new 2008R2 server as member of abc.com (set static IP , server 01 as the primary DNS and reboot after adding to domain etc)
    now open a command prompt as an Administrator, run
    dcpromo /adv   (answer all the questions appropriately, remember you are adding it to your existing domain!!!!)

Once dcpromo has finished reboot your server and leave it for few hours (during this time keep checking event longs, particularly, DNS and File Replication Service. once you see a messages about all DNS zones are loaded and DC is online, now start checking AD replication events and make no errors are being reexported in event logs. If you see any errors please post them here or check these forums for resolution before going any further.

Once you are happy that 2008 R2 DC is healthy, transfer FSMO roles to this new server.

Now set 2008 DC as Primary DNS on itself and on DHCP scopes.

Once fsmo roles are on 2008 R2 server, a test user on new DC and check if user account has replicated to 2003 DC, login to a PC using this test account.
    you can shutdown 2003 DC temporarily to test if existing users and computers login to new DC without issues.

Now you can start planning DHCP server migration. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355)

if you feel need more details please let me know.

• Proposed as answer by Gemini29 Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by ExplorerJimmyChan Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:30 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:46 AM
  • you can ignore those errors reported in dcdiag,
    but look in system log if you see any critical which point to a potential issue.
    otherwise you are good to go.
    Monday, May 27, 2013 8:51 AM

All replies

• hi,

I see no problem in doing this initially....you would need to prepare your domain for the install of 2008R2 DC, but yes, they will run quite happily...main thing to be aware of is the DES is no longer supported after introducing 2008 so you would need to make sure that non of your apps us DES encryption...

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by 朱鸿文 Friday, May 24, 2013 2:07 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 6:52 AM
  • hi,

I see no problem in doing this initially....you would need to prepare your domain for the install of 2008R2 DC, but yes, they will run quite happily...main thing to be aware of is the DES is no longer supported after introducing 2008 so you would need to make sure that non of your apps us DES encryption...

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Hi Denis,

First, thank you.

But I am new on doing like this, any detail link for me to reference what I need to prepare my domain for the install of 2008 R2 / 12?

Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:14 AM
  • there is quite a good article here

http://sharepointgeorge.com/2009/introducing-windows-2008-r2-domain-controller/

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

My Blog

LinkedIn:

• Proposed as answer by 朱鸿文 Friday, May 24, 2013 2:07 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Hi,

In you case first of all make sure you have current system state backup.
    run DCDIAG and NETDIAG on your 2003 DCs and resolve any critical errors prior to any DS upgrades. 

On "SERVER 01" (FSMO Roles holder)
    as a first step towards mix 2003 and 2008R2 DC environment you have to upgrade AD schema  from 2003 to 2008R2 version (47),
    by running ADPREP from 2008R2 install DVDunder \support\adprep folder.
    Commands are   adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep and adprep /rodcprep   (you will need adprep32 for 32bit 2003 OS.)
    for full details please read the MS Article. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731728%28WS.10%29.aspx

Once adprep has successfully been run, you can prepare new 2008R2 server as member of abc.com (set static IP , server 01 as the primary DNS and reboot after adding to domain etc)
    now open a command prompt as an Administrator, run
    dcpromo /adv   (answer all the questions appropriately, remember you are adding it to your existing domain!!!!)

Once dcpromo has finished reboot your server and leave it for few hours (during this time keep checking event longs, particularly, DNS and File Replication Service. once you see a messages about all DNS zones are loaded and DC is online, now start checking AD replication events and make no errors are being reexported in event logs. If you see any errors please post them here or check these forums for resolution before going any further.

Once you are happy that 2008 R2 DC is healthy, transfer FSMO roles to this new server.

Now set 2008 DC as Primary DNS on itself and on DHCP scopes.

Once fsmo roles are on 2008 R2 server, a test user on new DC and check if user account has replicated to 2003 DC, login to a PC using this test account.
    you can shutdown 2003 DC temporarily to test if existing users and computers login to new DC without issues.

Now you can start planning DHCP server migration. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/962355)

if you feel need more details please let me know.

• Proposed as answer by Gemini29 Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by ExplorerJimmyChan Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:30 AM
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 10:46 AM
    but look in system log if you see any critical which point to a potential issue.
    Monday, May 27, 2013 8:51 AM

Yes, I did it final.After check the event, it is because I am using RDP to login the server, it reconnect the printer driver, but  the server haven't this, so error log in it.

Now the DC mix environment are all working on my VMWare test (Yes, it VMWare, but after my new HP G5 server arrived, I am do the REAL LIVE mix integration on this case, hope all the same and smoothly),

AND I AM HERE TO Thank for all help me this newbie did it there.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2:30 AM
  • good to know you are testing it in Lab first, if you need further help do post back any teething issue.
    or create new thread if its different issue.
    Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:34 AM