none
Use DPM 2012 to backup SQL Server 2012

Question

• I am posting this in the general forums, I had it posted in the DPM SQL forum, but didn't get any responses to the question:

I know that the release notes for the RC stated that DPM 2012 will not backup SQL Server 2012. Is this still true for the RTM version, and if so when do you think the ability to backup SQL Server 2012 with DPM 2012 will be available?
    Monday, April 23, 2012 4:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If Sharepoint 2010 supports being installed on SQL 2012, then DPM should also support it.

For the error: <DPM is unable to enumerate contents in MSSQLSERVER>

Check to be sure the SQL writer is started - DPM queries the SQL writer for a list of databases to protect.

Run diskshadow.exe from an administrative command prompt, then type LIST WRITERS - look for the SQL writer output and see if the databases are listed.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by netlander Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:56 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • OK - I didn't think DPM was enumerating the DB's, but since it is, go ahead and try protecting them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:12 PM

All replies

• Any word?
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:22 PM
  • its my belief that 2012 is supported execpt for always on databases (this was based of talk at MMS) but havent gotten around to testing it yet , so hopefully a MS rep will answer :)
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:25 PM
  • The problem I am having is that I am getting a "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in MSSQLSERVER" error when trying to select the server for a protection group. Again this is for DPM 2012 trying to protect a SQL 2012 instance.

This is pretty important functionality for us, I realize that DPM 2012 was just released just over a month ago, but ensuring that it will backup SQL 2012 will be a deciding factor on upgrading to SQL 2012 and/or DPM 2012.

• Edited by netlander Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:08 PM
  • i will try with sql 2012 tonight as i havent had time before , but i would contact MS to get a official answer to avoid any guesses about support statements :)

the official document http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/library/hh758036.aspx have 2008 SP2 as the lastest so i guess it havent been updated for a while :)

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 7:24 PM
  • http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsqlbackup/thread/9869208d-c4af-413e-bd97-278d3f4618f6

MattheIngram pointed to the official answer (that i also missed)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh848297.aspx

"DPM does not support protection and recovery for SQL Server 2012."

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

The following technet article is incorrect, DPM 2012 RTM does support protecting SQL 2012.

"DPM does not support protection and recovery for SQL Server 2012."     <This is wrong and is being corrected>

However, DPM 2012 will not support the always on feature until DPM SP1 is released later this year.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Thanks Mike!!!

You made my day!!!!!!!!!!!

Now should I go ahead an open a new thread for the "DPM is unable to enumerate contents in MSSQLSERVER" issue or try and get an answer on this thread?

Lastly...since it supports SQL 2012, will it support SharePoint 2010 running on a SQL 2012 Database?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Hi,

If Sharepoint 2010 supports being installed on SQL 2012, then DPM should also support it.

For the error: <DPM is unable to enumerate contents in MSSQLSERVER>

Check to be sure the SQL writer is started - DPM queries the SQL writer for a list of databases to protect.

Run diskshadow.exe from an administrative command prompt, then type LIST WRITERS - look for the SQL writer output and see if the databases are listed.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

The following technet article is incorrect, DPM 2012 RTM does support protecting SQL 2012.

"DPM does not support protection and recovery for SQL Server 2012."     <This is wrong and is being corrected>

However, DPM 2012 will not support the always on feature until DPM SP1 is released later this year.

Thanks Mike :) 
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:09 PM
  • OK - I didn't think DPM was enumerating the DB's, but since it is, go ahead and try protecting them.

Friday, May 25, 2012 3:12 PM
  • So just ignore the popup that states that DPM cannot enumerate the MSSQLSERVER since they show up under the server?
    Friday, May 25, 2012 4:29 PM
  • SQL 2012 is supported under DPM 2012 RTM except if you are running the AlwaysOn feature (Will be covered by DPM 2012 SP1), please check the below article to protect SQL 2012 under DPM 2012.

http://itcalls.blogspot.com/2012/09/sql-2012-protection-with-dpm-2012-rtm.html

Friday, September 07, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Although my SQL 2012 DB AlwaysOn feature wasn't enabled the DPM job always fails immediately after it starts, Consistency check also didn't work as well. After some investigation and several trials it turns out that the NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM account on the SQL server needs to have Sysadmin role/right

http://itcalls.blogspot.com.br/2012/09/sql-2012-protection-with-dpm-2012-rtm.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj860415.aspx
    Thursday, March 07, 2013 7:14 PM
  • I was having some much trouble trying to restore to SQL 2012 or mount a restored file from DPM. This solved all my problems.
    Monday, April 22, 2013 7:23 PM