none
project highlighting RRS feed

• Question

• how do you highlight this week's tasks in green and next week's task in blue on a single click?

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:16 AM

Answers

• Give this a try - why not group your tasks by week?  Here is an article I wrote that will give you the step by step on how to do this.  Are the colors really that important?  I would suggest creating a grouping by start date and another one by finish date.  Applying these will give you all tasks that will start this week and are scheduled to finish this week.  If you are using Resource group for department you can add resource group to the view and/or grouping and get what each department is assigned to do this week.  See if this helps without any coding.

http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/20080125_213649_tip.pdf 

Best of luck.

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:19 PM

All replies

• I don't  think I can, nor do I think you can without a bit of setting up.  Since you have two criteria and two colours,  multiple clicks of the mouse are required to select the appropriate two tasks, and then pick different colours based on what task is selected.  

What you could do is write a VBA macro for which you can put an icon for launching it on the toolbar.  The VBA program can be written figures out, say based on the current date, what are "this" vs. "next" week task(s) and then colour accordingly.  Another one-click way could be to define a field which computes the type of week ("this" or "next") and then with one click show the plan grouped by that field. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:09 AM
  • Give this a try - why not group your tasks by week?  Here is an article I wrote that will give you the step by step on how to do this.  Are the colors really that important?  I would suggest creating a grouping by start date and another one by finish date.  Applying these will give you all tasks that will start this week and are scheduled to finish this week.  If you are using Resource group for department you can add resource group to the view and/or grouping and get what each department is assigned to do this week.  See if this helps without any coding.

http://www.lehnertcs.com/pdfs/20080125_213649_tip.pdf 

Best of luck.

Ellen Lehnert, MVP, PMP, MCT Training/Consulting/Author ellen@lehnertcs.com, www.lehnertcs.com Author "Managing Projects using MS Project 2010 desktop" courseware, www.MVP-Press.com
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:19 PM
  • how do you group tasks by this week and another group next week?
    Monday, January 30, 2012 2:50 AM
  • Hello IT,

Ellen's article gives excellent step by step instructions.  Click the link to the article in her post.

Monday, January 30, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Juile, i checked her article before posting.

The article does for 1 grouping, but i am looking at 2 different grouping.

1 for this week, 1 for next week

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 6:48 AM
  • I think we may be talking past each other.  The group explained in Ellen's article creates groups by week -- so this week's tasks are grouped together, next week's tasks are grouped together, the third week's tasks are grouped together.  There is no need for two groups -- setting the interval to weeks separates tasks by week.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:27 PM
  • What I suggested above would work, I think. Up to you to define and implement the algorithm which defines "This Week" and "Next" week.  Once that in a field and computing correctly, group by that field.
    --rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:33 PM
  • how do you highlight this week's tasks in green and next week's task in blue on a single click?

Hello IT,

IMHO, you have the dates for this week and next week anyway so Ellen's method provides the solution as Julie noted.

Have you considered using Calendar view or Date Range filter ? Are you particularly looking for a VBA / formula solution ?

Rob has already provided the algorithm for a VBA + formula solution. Any feedback ?

Regards.

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:19 PM