Local Drive Mapping Setup (Windows XP, Windows 2003) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get drive mapping working for XP Clients and am following through the technet articles on how to setup a UAG Server.  It says to map a drive select Client/Server and legacy then Local Drive Mapping Setup (Windows XP, Windows 2003) which I have done but I don't have anywhere to put the path that it maps to (Server NetBIOS Name:, ShareName, etc..).  It doesn't have step 4 Configure Server Settings like the Local Drive Mapping App.

Also if I use the normal drive mapping on a Windows 7 client it doesn't connect.  We are usign a NetApp SAN an I am wondering if drive mapping will even work to map to a NetApp?

I can get File Access to work with the NetApp perfectly on Windows XP and 7 clients, just drive mapping is the problem.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:29 AM

Answers

• Local drive mapping is actually comprised of TWO parts. The 1st part is the SETUP, which does not have settings for the actual paths. The setup is used to configure a registry setting on the client that allows it to actually use the "main" drive mapping. After setting up that app, you need to setup the other Local Drive Mapping application, and that will contain the settings for the paths. The concept is that each user has to run the "setup" app once, reboot the computer, and then, run just the actual "mapping" app later on, whenever he wants to.
    You can read about this a little, as well as some interesting customizations on my blog: http://blogs.technet.com/ben/archive/2009/07/24/drive-them-crazy.aspx

As for NetApp - Drive mapping can use any standard UNC path that is accessible from the UAG server itself, so it should be fine. I've setup various SAN solutions for my own customers in the past successfully.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:29 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:29 PM

All replies

• Local drive mapping is actually comprised of TWO parts. The 1st part is the SETUP, which does not have settings for the actual paths. The setup is used to configure a registry setting on the client that allows it to actually use the "main" drive mapping. After setting up that app, you need to setup the other Local Drive Mapping application, and that will contain the settings for the paths. The concept is that each user has to run the "setup" app once, reboot the computer, and then, run just the actual "mapping" app later on, whenever he wants to.
    You can read about this a little, as well as some interesting customizations on my blog: http://blogs.technet.com/ben/archive/2009/07/24/drive-them-crazy.aspx

As for NetApp - Drive mapping can use any standard UNC path that is accessible from the UAG server itself, so it should be fine. I've setup various SAN solutions for my own customers in the past successfully.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:29 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:29 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:51 PM