Mouse and Keyboard no longer working on Re-imaged PC RRS feed

• Question

• I was imaging a PC and through the imaging process the USB Mouse and Keyboard were working fine, after the image was transferred over the mouse and keyboard were still working fine after XP had loaded up. I restarted the PC several times because of Windows updates etc being installed.

These devices worked fine up until the moment I moved the PC away from my build lab and onto the users desk. Now, the mouse and keyboard will not work at all. The light underneath the mouse is on and changes intensity as it would if there is movement (it is an optical mouse) and the keyboard's numlock light is lit but stuck on. Disconnecting the keyboard and reconnecting will result in the Numlock light never coming back on.

This has happened several times with other PCs, it is as if Windows has suddenly lost the drivers and refuses to load them under circumstance. Using different USB ports and different mice/keyboard devices does not resolve the issue, and there is no option in the BIOS to change apart from USB settings which is set to on so the problem looks to be Windows XP.

Taking the PC back to build lab and using the same mouse and keyboard in the same USB ports they last worked in doesn't resolve this problem. The PC is a Dell GX620 and the mouse and keyboard are Dell's as well.

Booting in safe mode doesn't load the keyvboard and mouse neither. Is there a fix because it takes a while to rebuild a PC?

Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:35 AM

Answers

• You may have installed drivers for them through windows updates that weren't needed. if you can, I would roll-back the drivers for each item, although that may be difficult if your mouse and keyboard aren't working at all. you could maybe re-image the machine and avoid installing hardware updates if they were the issue?
    • Marked as answer by ProjectVRD Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:10 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:51 AM

All replies

• You may have installed drivers for them through windows updates that weren't needed. if you can, I would roll-back the drivers for each item, although that may be difficult if your mouse and keyboard aren't working at all. you could maybe re-image the machine and avoid installing hardware updates if they were the issue?
    • Marked as answer by ProjectVRD Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:10 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:51 AM
  • I forgot to say, the PCs use WSUS and hardware updates are not included in the list we have approved. The PCs cannot connect to the Windows Update service as part of a policy so we avoid updates that might conflict with applications we use.
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:53 AM
  • I would recommend doing a repair install. Leaving the data intact but replacing the Windows data. That way, if Windows has been corrupted because of a dodgy image, it will be a complete version when its done. 

The only other to say about that, is that you will have to install all the updates for Win XP as well afterwards

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:31 AM