none
Setting total resource availability RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Terrible title but I'll explain better here.

I have 3 PM's in my team. We've worked out they probably spend a certain % of their day working on contracted projects. I've set this % in the setup of the resource in PWA. Although they are on average available for example 60% or 4.5 hours a day, if they are allocated a task then 100% of their time should be available. I've realised this isn't happening though, and in each individual project setting max units to 100% does not save with it reverting back to the set % when the plan is reopened.

How is it best to set this up? The only way I can think to sort this out is to change their working hours and then set their max units back to 100% in the setup of the resource in PWA. Is there any other way around this?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:56 PM

Answers

• DangerM0use --

I don't get it.  Are your PMs available to work on projects 100% of the time or only 60% of the time?  The Max. Units value you specify for resources in Project Online refers to their capacity to work on projects, measured as a percentage of an average working day or working week.  If you specify a Max. Units value of 100% for a resource, the system will know that the resource can be assigned to a task with a Units value of up to 100%.  If the resource is assigned more than 100% on an individual task or in total to a series of parallel tasks, then the system will flag that resource as being overallocated.

If your PMs are available 100% some of the time, I would set their Max. Units value at 100% in Project Online.  When a PM goes to assign him/herself to a project team, and the PM knows that he/she cannot work 100% of the time on that project (only 60% for example), the PM can temporarily set his/her Max. Units value for the project to 60%.  Please keep in mind that when a PM enters a Max. Units value for a resource in an enterprise project, that value is only temporary, and will persist for as long as the project is open.  The PM should perform this action immediately before assigning resources to a task, or immediately before the PM wants to analyze and resolve resource overallocation.  After the PM closes and checks in the project, and then reopens the project later, the Max. Units value will go back to the Max. Units value specified by the administrator in Project Online.  You and your PMs have already discovered this fact.

Oh, how I wish Microsoft would allow us to specify a project-level Max. Units value for the resources in each of our projects, but this feature is not available.  Does this help?  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DangerM0use Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:04 PM

All replies

• I think I've figured out what has changed. The newer templates that we're now using seem to have the task type set as fixed units not duration which is probably why I didn't see it on our older templates.

I can change the task type to duration and reassign the resource to the tasks with 100% units. Is this considered a better option than simply reducing their work day in the calendar.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:25 PM
  • DangerM0use --

I don't get it.  Are your PMs available to work on projects 100% of the time or only 60% of the time?  The Max. Units value you specify for resources in Project Online refers to their capacity to work on projects, measured as a percentage of an average working day or working week.  If you specify a Max. Units value of 100% for a resource, the system will know that the resource can be assigned to a task with a Units value of up to 100%.  If the resource is assigned more than 100% on an individual task or in total to a series of parallel tasks, then the system will flag that resource as being overallocated.

If your PMs are available 100% some of the time, I would set their Max. Units value at 100% in Project Online.  When a PM goes to assign him/herself to a project team, and the PM knows that he/she cannot work 100% of the time on that project (only 60% for example), the PM can temporarily set his/her Max. Units value for the project to 60%.  Please keep in mind that when a PM enters a Max. Units value for a resource in an enterprise project, that value is only temporary, and will persist for as long as the project is open.  The PM should perform this action immediately before assigning resources to a task, or immediately before the PM wants to analyze and resolve resource overallocation.  After the PM closes and checks in the project, and then reopens the project later, the Max. Units value will go back to the Max. Units value specified by the administrator in Project Online.  You and your PMs have already discovered this fact.

Oh, how I wish Microsoft would allow us to specify a project-level Max. Units value for the resources in each of our projects, but this feature is not available.  Does this help?  Let us know.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DangerM0use Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:04 PM
  • Dale that's perfect. It looks like the only option I should be considering is to change their working hours and set their availability to 100%.

I'm glad this has come up now instead of too far down the line. Bit of work to make sure everything looks OK after I make the change but oh well.

Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:02 AM