Remove the 'Mail' Icon in IE RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have SteadyState installed on a test workstation in a sandbox environment.  The security settings are selected for High Security, but I noticed that the 'Mail' icon is still there on the IE toolbar.  It only offers news, but if selected, the Outlook Express configuration wizard starts up to configure an account, which I would like to avoid as I will be using SteadyState on machines in a public Kiosk role.

Anywhere you can disable the mail icon in IE?

Thanks,

Anthony

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 7:27 PM

Answers

•  Antonius138 wrote:

Hello all,

I have SteadyState installed on a test workstation in a sandbox environment.  The security settings are selected for High Security, but I noticed that the 'Mail' icon is still there on the IE toolbar.  It only offers news, but if selected, the Outlook Express configuration wizard starts up to configure an account, which I would like to avoid as I will be using SteadyState on machines in a public Kiosk role.

Thanks,

Anthony

Are you running IE6 or IE7.  If you are running IE6 you can Customize the toolbar, by going to View>Toolbars>Customize and then remove the Mail icon.  Then lock down the profile.  If you are running IE7, right click on the Toolbar and then select Customize Command Bar>Add or Remove Commands.  Remove the Read Mail icon and then lock down the profile.  I haven't tried this...but don't know why it wouldn't work.  I would still disable Outlook Express from running, just in case they click on a link that is a mailto: link from a webpage.  That would also start the account setup for OE.  Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:31 AM
  • Hi Jfrye,

Although the email links cannot be blocked from SteadyState, we can configure IE to open an online email website when an email link is clicked:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in Inetcpl.cpl and click OK.  Select the Programs tab.

3. Select Hotmail (or Windows Live Mail) as the default email program.

4. Click OK.

Please check if the send links still calls the installation of Outlook.

FYI, this setting can also be deployed via group policy. [User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Programs]

Best Regards,

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can't remove the icon, but you could use Block Programs to prevent Outlook Express from running.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:15 PM
  •  Antonius138 wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Anthony

Are you running IE6 or IE7.  If you are running IE6 you can Customize the toolbar, by going to View>Toolbars>Customize and then remove the Mail icon.  Then lock down the profile.  If you are running IE7, right click on the Toolbar and then select Customize Command Bar>Add or Remove Commands.  Remove the Read Mail icon and then lock down the profile.  I haven't tried this...but don't know why it wouldn't work.  I would still disable Outlook Express from running, just in case they click on a link that is a mailto: link from a webpage.  That would also start the account setup for OE.  Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:31 AM
  • Thanks for all the replies!

A.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 6:07 PM
  • I need to block installation of OUTLOOK when someone clicks “send” in IE. The “mail to” links are blocked: I have blocked outlook.exe and msimn.exe.  I am new to SteadyState but used it predecessor.  Knowing this I tried a restart and a cold boot to make sure it was not needed to actually turn something on/off.  Now I am stuck.

thanks

jackie

Monday, July 23, 2007 5:02 PM
  • Hi Jfrye,

Although the email links cannot be blocked from SteadyState, we can configure IE to open an online email website when an email link is clicked:

1. Click Start and then Run.

2. Type in Inetcpl.cpl and click OK.  Select the Programs tab.

3. Select Hotmail (or Windows Live Mail) as the default email program.

4. Click OK.

Please check if the send links still calls the installation of Outlook.

FYI, this setting can also be deployed via group policy. [User Configuration\Windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Programs]

Best Regards,

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:49 AM
  • Great idea and it works.

thanks

Jackie

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 9:37 PM